[comp.windows.x] Response to questions about OPEN LOOK.

meth@eowyn.UUCP (11/23/89)

There have been many questions on the net concerning the
AT&T Xt based OPEN LOOK 2.0 offering.  We are two developers on the
AT&T team and here are some answers to questions.

Question 1:

	`Folks at the UI booth at Unix Expo last week were tossing around the
	term "flattened widgets" and describing that feature of the
	AT&T Open Look widget set, the version 2.0 to be available in
	1/90, as widgets using less run-time storage than standard
	pre-R4 widgets or gadgets.

	Does anyone have technical details on these "flattened widgets"? '

Answer 1:
FLATTENED WIDGETS VS GADGETS VS WIDGETS
=======================================
AT&T, like many others have recognized that widgets as well as gadgets
are memory intensive.  Although it is widely accepted that widgets are
100% more memory intensive in the server process than gadgets, gadgets do
only marginally better on the client side (Up to 50%). The reason for
this is directly related to implementation details of the intrinsics
and not indigenous to object oriented technology.

The flattened widgets that will be part of the OPEN LOOK 2.0 release
allows us to realize further savings in the client process. (The note
below, from our flattened widget implementor, gives some sense of the
savings).

WHAT ABOUT X11R4?
=================
It should be noted that there has been much talk on
the net about the new X11R4 server and the significant memory
reductions that it will bring for us.  X11R4 will provide significant
memory reductions for widgets and gadgets. These memory reductions
apply to the server process. The flattenedwidgets provide memory
reductions on the client side.

NOTE FROM FLATTENED WIDGET DEVELOPER
====================================
   `In AT&T's OPEN LOOK toolkit (Xol 2.0) "flattened widgets" are for
   real.  If you've ever used the file manager you'll immediately notice
   the performance improvements.  For example in 1.0, if the file
   manager was displaying a large directory (> 50 files), it took about
   10 seconds for the file manager to redisplay.  With flattened widgets,
   the redisplay time is almost instantaneous.  (This test was run using
   the same server on a 6 meg box.)

   Here's a ballpark estimate of the memory savings for a typical
   exclusive setting with 6 choices instantiated with flattened widgets:

	Savings over Widgets	Savings over Gadgets
	--------------------	--------------------
		80%			50%

   These values are based on our 1.0 toolkit, which was based on R2
   Intinsics and R2 XLib.  After completing the 2.0 implementation, I haven't
   had a chance to rework them for our 2.0 toolkit, though I suspect them
   to be slightly less for the widgets and about the same for the
   gadgets.'

Question 2:
	`Anyone know the status of the AT&T offering for Open Look
	based on the Xt Toolkit?'

Answer 2:
	"The AT&T OPEN LOOK GUI X Toolkit" (Source for 2.0) will be Generally
	Available early first quarter 1990.  Sun will support AT&T's
	Xt toolkit for SunOS early 2nd quarter 1990. The OPEN LOOK 1.0
	product has been available since April, 89 for AT&T hardware.
	For more information about the product, please contact :
	Joanne Newbauer at (201)-829-8959.

Marcel Meth             201-522-5111   Garry Johnson            201-522-6550
AT&T Bell Laboratories  attunix!meth   AT&T Bell Laboratories   attunix!gfj
Rm 4-222                               Rm 5-217
190 River Rd                           190 River Rd
Summit, NJ 07901                       Summit, NJ 07901

vonn@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Vonn Marsch) (11/28/89)

What, pray tell, is a "gadget"? (Or, for that matter, a "flattened" widget?)

(BTW: We're running out of precious meta-syntactical nouns, folks.  Can
we at least agree to hold "thingamajig" in reserve?)

P.S.: Code, OpenLook Xt developers, code like the wind ... I don't want to
send 1000 clams + royalties to the "Open" Softare Foundation.

:-):-( || Vonn Marsch || ( vonn@entropy.ms.washington.edu ) |||||||| )-:(-:

harden@ICS.COM (Aub Harden) (11/29/89)

In article <2412@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, vonn@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Vonn Marsch) writes:

> P.S.: Code, OpenLook Xt developers, code like the wind ... I don't want to
> send 1000 clams + royalties to the "Open" Softare Foundation.

$1000 is a fee for the source license- available to anyone.
You decide whether or not that's expensive.

The only time you have to pay royalties to OSF is if you copy the
libraries or the window manager.  Applications built using the toolkit
(and UIL) are royalty-free.  There is no run-time license for Motif :-)

BTW, I believe that AT&T is charging $1000 for Xt+ source.
I don't know what their licensing policy is...

-Aub Harden
 harden@ics.com

*  Integrated Computer Solutions, Inc.  |  Everything you wanted to   *
*  163 Harvard Street                   |    know about X but were    *
*  Cambridge, MA  02139                 |       afraid to ask...      *
*  voice: 617/547-0510    fax: 617/547-0758    e-mail: info@ics.com   *