[comp.windows.x] dxwm window manager

rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) (11/28/89)

I have a window manager question.  I'm running
a DECstation 3100.  I just got the Motif
code, and have compiled and built most of
the parts.  I want the motif window manager
(mwm) to be the startup window manager.  How
do I do that?

I'm also getting unexpected results with the
esource file they give:
!  app-defaults RESOURCE SPECIFICATIONS FOR Mwm
!

*moveThreshold:                 3
!Mwm*buttonBindings:            DefaultButtonBindings

!
! component appearance resources
!
*resizeBorderWidth:             7

! FONT stuff
*fontList:                      variable
! Use smaller fixed font for icons
*icon*fontList:                 fixed

!#ifdef COLOR
!*menu*background:              LightGray
!*feedback*background:          LightGray
!
!#else
!! MONOCHROME setup
!*feedback*backgroundPixmap:    foreground
!*menu*backgroundPixmap:                foreground
!
!#endif

When I load this in, my window manager menus became blue
(they were black & white.)

Also, when I tried to put these definitions in the system
/.Xdefaults, it caused dxsession to hang (actually, I don't
know which part hung, but no login window ever came up).

Strange stuff, I know!  Any clues?

thanks,
Bob Rose
TCI
rose@tci.bell-atl.com

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (11/28/89)

> I have a window manager question.  I'm running
> a DECstation 3100.  I just got the Motif
> code, and have compiled and built most of
> the parts.  I want the motif window manager
> (mwm) to be the startup window manager.  How
> do I do that?

Edit your .Xfefaults file so mwm becomes the default window
manager.....the following will do.

sm*windowManagerName:	/usr/bin/mwm  [or directory of choice]

if you want to use xterm, then add:

sm*terminalEmulatorName:	/usr/bin/xterm

Here are some excerpts  from my file that may help you.
!Motif Window Manager .Xdefaults
!
#ifndef COLOR
Mwm*Background:			 SkyBlue
Mwm*activeBackground:	                   PaleGreen
Mwm*icon*topShadowColor:	                   SkyBlue
Mwm*icon*background:		 sea green
Mwm*icon*foreground:		 OrangeRed
#endif
Mwm*iconImageMinimum:                               16x16
Mwm*iconPlacementMargin:                            2
Mwm*lowerOnIconify:                                       True
Mwm*positionIsFrame:                                     True
Mwm*iconBoxGeometry:	                    2x4+1+1
Mwm*fadeNormalIcon:                                      True
Mwm*font:                                                          helvetica14
Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:                             explicit
Mwm*resizeBorderWidth:                                 10
Mwm*transientDecoration:                                system title resizeh
Mwm*transientFuntions:                                   -minimize -maximize
Mwm*XTerm.iconImage:
Mwm*transientDecoration:		  Title resize
Mwm*workspaceMenu:                                     True
Mwm*restartSettings:                                        True
Mwm*systemMenu:                                           RootMenu
Mwm*systemButtonClick:                                  True
Mwm*systemButtonClick2:                                True
Mwm*buttonBindings:
DefaultButtonBindings
Mwm*iconDecoration:                                        label image
Mwm*useIconBox:                                             true
Mwm*iconbox*systemMenu:                             DefaultSystemMenu
Mwm*iconBoxTitle:
Mwm*RootMenu:
DefaultButtonBindings
#ifdef COLOR
Mwm*iconImageForeground:                             yellow
Mwm*iconImageBackground:                             Mediumvioletred
Mwm*iconbox*backgorund:                                white
#endif
Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:                               explicit
Mwm*interactivePlacement:                                True
Mwm*showFeedback:                                          all

----------

> I'm also getting unexpected results with the
>resource file they give:

If you mean the .mwmrc file, then here are some
example entries that works well with the above
.Xdefaults file.

#  DEFAULT mwm RESOURCE DESCRIPTION FILE (.mwmrc)
#
# menu pane description
#
Menu DefaultSystemMenu
{
    "Root Menu"                     f.title
    "New Window"                  f.exec "xterm &"
    "Shuffle Up"                      f.circle_up
    "Shuffle Down"                  f.circle_down
    "Refresh"                          f.refresh
    no-label                           f.separator
    "Restart"                           f.restart

}

#
#
#

Menu RootMenu
{

"System Menu"                     f.title
"All hosts rejected"               f.exec "xhost - >/dev/null 2>&1&"
"Any host allowed"                f.exec "xhost + >/dev/null 2>&1&"
"Background setting"            f.menu BackGroundSetMenu
"Bell setting"                          f.menu BellSetMenu
"Calculators"                         f.menu CalculatorsMenu
"Click setting"                        f.menu ClickSetMenu
"DECwindows"                       f.menu DECwinwoesApplicationsMenu
"Demo's"                               f.menu XDemonstrationsMenu
"Loadaverage"                      f.exec "nice xload -geometry =275x85&"
"Mail "		          f.exec "dxmail&"
"Manual pages"                    f.exec "xman&"

"Usenet"		          f.exec "xrn -fn helvetica14&"
"Biff"	                            f.exec "xbiff&"
"Edit"		          f.exec "xedit -fn helvetica14&"

"XCalendar"	          f.exec "xcalendar&"
"Monitor"                               f.exec "nice xperfmon =275x300
-n idle collision&"
"Mouse setting"                    f.menu MouseSetMenu
"Refresh"                               f.refresh
"Shuffle Up"                           f.circle_up
"Shuffle Down"                       f.circle_down
"Xterm (local xterm)"             f.exec "xterm  -fb helvetica18&"
no-label                                f.separator
"Reread .mwmrc"                   f.restart
}

#
#etc.
#etc.
# key binding descriptions
#

Keys DefaultKeyBindings
{
    Shift<Key>Escape               icon|window             f.post_smenu
    Meta<Key>space                icon|window             f.post_smenu
    Meta<Key>Tab                    root|icon|window        f.next_key
    Meta Shift<Key>                  Tab	          root|icon|window  f.prev_key
    Meta<Key>Escape              root|icon|window        f.circle_down
    Meta Shift<Key>Escape       root|icon|window        f.circle_up
    Meta Ctrl Shift<Key>             exclam root|icon|window    f.set_behavior
    Meta<Key>F6	              window		f.next_key transient

}

#
# button binding descriptions
#

Buttons DefaultButtonBindings
{
    <Btn1Down>                           frame             f.raise
    <Btn2Down>                           frame|icon      f.post_smenu
    <Btn2Down>                           root                f.menu  RootMenu
    Meta<Btn1Down>                   icon|window    f.move
    Meta<Btn3Down>	               xwindow          f.minimize
    <Btn1Down>                           root                 f.menu  RootMenu
    <Btn3Down>                           frame               f.lower
}

#
#  END OF mwm RESOURCE DESCRIPTION FILE
#
-------

> When I load this in, my window manager menus became blue
> (they were black & white.)
>
> Also, when I tried to put these definitions in the system
> /.Xdefaults, it caused dxsession to hang (actually, I don't
> know which part hung, but no login window ever came up).
>
> Strange stuff, I know!  Any clues?

If you follow my examples, you will probably do better ;-)

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (11/28/89)

In article <454@tci.bell-atl.com>, rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:
> I'm running a DECstation 3100.
> I want the motif window manager
> (mwm) to be the startup window manager.  How
> do I do that?

The window manager is started by your session manager after you login.
Try putting something like this in your .Xdefaults:
sm.windowManagerName: /usr/local/bin/mwm

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com (David Barrett) (11/29/89)

> I have a window manager question.  I'm running
> a DECstation 3100.  I just got the Motif
> code, and have compiled and built most of
> the parts.  I want the motif window manager
> (mwm) to be the startup window manager.  How
> do I do that?

Add this line to your .Xdefaults file:

sm*windowManagerName:           /usr/bin/mwm

	David Barrett

	dbb@riscy.enet.dec.com
	..!decwrl!riscy.enet!dbb

rwood@dec.com (Richard Wood) (11/29/89)

In article <454@tci.bell-atl.com>, rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:

> I have a window manager question.  I'm running
> a DECstation 3100.  I just got the Motif
> code, and have compiled and built most of
> the parts.  I want the motif window manager
> (mwm) to be the startup window manager.  How
> do I do that?

Use the .Xdefaults resource:

	sm.windowManagerName:   /usr/local/mwm	! or where-ever you left mwm

Note that this is only appropriate if you are using dxsession.

-- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.

ram@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Bob Mortensen) (11/29/89)

In article <698@granite.dec.com>, rwood@dec (Richard Wood) writes:
>In article <454@tci.bell-atl.com>, rose@tci.bell-atl.com (Bob Rose) writes:
>>
>> I have a window manager question.  I'm running
>> a DECstation 3100.  I just got the Motif
>> code, and have compiled and built most of
>> the parts.  I want the motif window manager
>> (mwm) to be the startup window manager.  How
>> do I do that?
>
>Use the .Xdefaults resource:
>
>	sm.windowManagerName:   /usr/local/mwm	! or where-ever you left mwm

Hope this isn't too ignorant (I'm kindof new at this), but does this
mean that Motif is available?  Where?

Thanks in advance,
Bob Mortensen			Visualization and Earth Science Applications
						   Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ram@jane.jpl.nasa.gov					4800 Oak Grove Drive
bob@zest.jpl.nasa.gov					 Pasadena, CA  91109