[comp.windows.x] Need Books on X Toolkit

marko@mead.UUCP (Mark Osbourne) (11/29/89)

I am getting started using X Windows and Motif and
would like recommendations on some good books for
learning my way around the X Toolkit.  Preferably
with some good commented code examples.

I will summarize and post, if there is interest.

Mark Osbourne          mead!maddog!marko@uccba.uc.edu
                       fac5@dayton.saic.com

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (11/30/89)

In article <510@mead.UUCP> marko@mead.UUCP (Mark Osbourne) writes:
>I am getting started using X Windows and Motif and
>would like recommendations on some good books for
>learning my way around the X Toolkit.  Preferably
>with some good commented code examples.

First, take a course.  The ICS Motif course is a good one.

I use the following constantly:
	* Motif Programmer's Guide - good code examples, figures
	  are still in the back on the copies we got from ICS :^(
	  Otherwise, this is a GOOD Xt programmer's book.
	* Motif Prog's Ref Guide - The printed Man pages.
	* XtIntrinsics - C Language Interface which comes from
	  MIT with X11R3.  Very poor on its own, but a good reference
	  to get detail which may be missing in the Motif dics (that
	  is rare - the Motif docs are the best X docs I've seen).
	* O'Reilly & Assoc Xlib Reference Manual, vol 2.
	* C programming Language by K&R (of course).

Tutorials given at Xhibition were also generally useful.