[comp.windows.x] xmh vs. xdm?

earle@POSEUR.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle - Sun JPL on-site Software Support) (11/30/89)

This may sound bizarre, but ever since I started using `xdm', `xmh' acts
like it's gotten a lobotomy.  Most of the time it comes up and claims my
inbox folder is completely empty (!!!).  Every once in a while it comes
up properly (with a `rescanning inbox' pop-up), but even then, when new
mail comes in, hitting `Incorporate new mail' returns immediately (!!!),
and hitting `Rescan folder' briefly brings up an empty (!) pop-up, which
goes away almost immediately.  All of the normal MH commands still work
just fine (as is expected), so it's xmh that is getting fry-brained.

The only thing I could think of is that now that I'm using `xdm', my ~/.login
file never gets read by anything, but there's nothing that gets tossed into
the environment in ~/.login that xmh/MH would care about (or so it seems).

Any ideas?!?

	- Greg Earle
	  Sun Microsystems, Inc. - JPL on-site Software Support
	  earle@poseur.JPL.NASA.GOV	(Direct)	...!sun!poseur!earle
	  earle@Sun.COM			(Indirect)	...!sun!earle

Disclaimer: I have enough problems with my employer as it is without you
	    thinking that I speak for them in any way, shape or form.  So don't.

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (12/01/89)

> This may sound bizarre, but ever since I started using `xdm', `xmh' acts
> like it's gotten a lobotomy.  Most of the time it comes up and claims my
> inbox folder is completely empty (!!!).  Every once in a while it comes
> up properly (with a `rescanning inbox' pop-up), but even then, when new
> mail comes in, hitting `Incorporate new mail' returns immediately (!!!),

Sounds like your path isn't getting set correctly to me; xdm starts up your
.xsession file, but doesn't even read your .cshrc file for you.  I made my
.xsession file a csh script (bleah) which sources ~/.cshrc before starting
xmh.  This way, I can get PATH pointing at the mh executables which xmh
uses.  I suspect the additional 'source ~/.cshrc' is not needed, but my PMAX
executes it so quickly that I've never tried removing it...

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium

(.xsession file:)

#!/bin/csh -f
source ~/.cshrc
xrdb -load $HOME/.../Xres
xmh &

MAP@LCS.MIT.EDU (Michael A. Patton) (12/01/89)

   Date: Thu, 30 Nov 89 12:02:01 -0500
   From: keith@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Keith Packard)

	...I suspect the additional 'source ~/.cshrc' is not needed, but my PMAX
   executes it so quickly that I've never tried removing it...

   #!/bin/csh -f
   source ~/.cshrc

The "-f" on the first line says "don't source the users .cshrc file".
so if you say that, you DO need the second line If you remove the "-f"
and the second line it should also work.