[comp.windows.x] X portability

mike@oresoft.uu.net (Mike Smith) (11/30/89)

What is the best mechanism for insuring portability between multiple
platforms running X11R3?  I am new to X, and more than a little
bewildered by the number of options available to anyone writing X
applications.

I am writing an application that must run on the NCR Tower, HP
9000, and Sun-3.  I have been using the Athena widgets on the Sun, with
some sucess, however, to get the functionality I need, I am going to have
to make some pretty significant modifications (particularly to the
asciiDiskWidget).  I don't really want to move  a gruesome hack
of the Athena widget set to every platform, as the first step in the
port.

What is a relatively "standard" approach to this problem?  Write
everything in Xlib?  Write my own set of custom widgets?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mds

It rains almost every day in Portland, but it's a _dry_ rain.

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/01/89)

In article <1989Nov29.181310.14672@oresoft.uu.net>, mike@oresoft.uu.net
(Mike Smith) writes:
> What is a relatively "standard" approach to this problem?  Write
> everything in Xlib?  Write my own set of custom widgets?

One of the most useful features of the X Toolkit is the ability to
customize widgets through subclassing.  If you don't like the current
functionality, add your own through subclassing.  If you're careful,
your subclass should be as portable as the original widget.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee