[comp.windows.x] multiple screens and window managers

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (11/22/89)

Since I last posted news about window managers and multiple screens I have
acquired and tested two more window managers.  We got gwm version 1.4.1.30
and Sun's olwm.  Olwm, while very nice, doesn't recognize the second screen.
Gwm's default mode does support multiple screens, however, when we tried
to use the Motif-look mode, it suffers from trying to use screen one pixmaps
on screen zero.  This may be a problem in our configuration file.

To summarize:
    wm,  gwm, and twm (R4) support multiple screens;

    awm, uwm, olwm, twm (R3) do not support multiple screens.

    we are waiting for our Motif tape to come so we can try mwm.

Our project has a requirement to support multiple screens, and we are trying
to find some alternatives to evaluate for our window manager needs.  If
anyone has any suggestions, please mail them to me, or post them if you think
it's relevent.

Thanks.

Benson, you are so mercifully devoid of the ravages of intelligence.
                                      Evil to Benson in Time Bandits
kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

colas@modja.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (11/22/89)

In article <2246@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb
Keithley) writes:
> Gwm's default mode does support multiple screens, however, when we tried
> to use the Motif-look mode, it suffers from trying to use screen one pixmaps
> on screen zero.  This may be a problem in our configuration file.

Oops - I forgot to say that the motif-look does not support multiple
screens. One could think it is thus a better emulation of mwm, since
mwm doesn't support multiple screens anyways :-)

In fact, this profile is just a student work, and I didn't want to add
too much complexity to his project... Extending this profile to support
multiple
screens shouldn't be long.

Colas NAHABOO       BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project
                    (GWM X11 Window Manager)
    Internet:       colas@mirsa.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Colas NAHABOO, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.77.71, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66, Telex: 97 00 50 F

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (11/23/89)

In article <361@mirsa.inria.fr> colas@modja.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:
>Oops - I forgot to say that the motif-look does not support multiple
>screens. One could think it is thus a better emulation of mwm, since
>mwm doesn't support multiple screens anyways :-)

Actually, MWM does support multiple screens, but you need to run one MWM
process per screen.

Until then, I can spare the extra swap space hit of running two copies of
MWM.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

colas@modja.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (11/23/89)

In article <4410@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM>, mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels
Mayer) writes:
> Actually, MWM does support multiple screens, but you need to run one MWM
> process per screen.

Well, if you call THAT "supporting multiple screens", which WM isn't ? :-)
(then the GWM motif profile supports multiple screens too...)

garyo@prometheus.think.com (Gary Oberbrunner) (11/30/89)

   Mayer) writes:
   > Actually, MWM does support multiple screens, but you need to run one MWM
   > process per screen.

   Well, if you call THAT "supporting multiple screens", which WM isn't ? :-)
   (then the GWM motif profile supports multiple screens too...)

   Except of course for the insidious xrdb/OpenDisplay bug (still in R4, I
believe?) that ALL screens' WM properties are stored on screen 0, so you
can't have a set of window manager properties per screen.  Thus WMs like
mwm can't really be convinced to use the right pixmaps on both the color
and b/w screen, for example, because those defs are stored in the WM
properties.
   The "official" reason for not fixing this is that what you really want
is a set of defaults *per visual*, and doing it per-screen would only fix
it for the thousands of us with multiple-virtual-screen Suns (plus a few
other strange servers).  And the per-visual solution is non-trivial,
involving changes to xrdb and its data file format, as well as
XOpenDisplay.  Oh well.

				- Gary Oberbrunner
				Thinking Machines Corporation
				245 First St
				Cambridge, MA 02142
				garyo@think.com

--
					As always,

					Gary O

Remember,		      Truth is not beauty;	    Gary  Oberbrunner
Information is not knowledge; Beauty is not love;  {ames,harvard}!think!garyo
Knowledge is not wisdom;      Love is not music;	      garyo@think.com
Wisdom is not truth;	      Music is the best. - FZ	  (617) 876-1111 x265

keith@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Taylor) (12/02/89)

>can't have a set of window manager properties per screen.  Thus WMs like
>mwm can't really be convinced to use the right pixmaps on both the color
>and b/w screen, for example, because those defs are stored in the WM
>properties.

There is a workaround for this, if I understand your comment correctly.

You can run a copy of mwm at each screen and give each a different
resource name (using the -name command line option). Each copy of mwm
can then pick up a personalized set of resources.

For example:

    % mwm -name mwm0 -display hpxyz:0.0      # mwm on screen zero
    % mwm -name mwm1 -display hpxyz:0.1      # mwm on screen one

  Your resources might look something like this:

    Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:   explicit      # class name applies to both

    mwm0*background:           maroon

    mwm1*background:           white

    etc.

Keith M. Taylor