[comp.windows.x] uwm Redraw

murphy@eric.mpr.ca (Gail Murphy) (12/02/89)

Help!

I'm currently using an Eiffel interface to Xlib to develop a prototype.
Most everything is now developed, but I am left with one nagging problem.
When I set the background pixmap of a window, the pixmap does not
immediately appear.  I have tried various combinations of sending expose
events to the windows, but I think I am using XSendEvent incorrectly.

The window is re-displayed correctly if I use the "redraw" facility in uwm
or circulate the windows.

My question is, what is uwm sending to the client when I ask it to redraw
the window (ie. choose redraw from a uwm menu and point to the window to
redraw!)?

I am running under Ultrix and uwm.

Thanks in advance, Gail

Gail Murphy                     | murphy@joplin.mpr.ca
Microtel Pacific Research       | ubc-cs!eric!murphy@UUNET.UU.NET
8999 Nelson Way, Burnaby, BC    | murphy%joplin.mpr.ca@relay.ubc.ca
Canada, V5A 4B5, (604) 293-5462 | ...!ubc-vision!joplin.mpr.ca!murphy

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/02/89)

In article <1940@eric.mpr.ca>, murphy@eric.mpr.ca (Gail Murphy) writes:
> My question is, what is uwm sending to the client when I ask it to redraw
> the window (ie. choose redraw from a uwm menu and point to the window to
> redraw!)?

Most window managers force a redraw by creating a window with the same
geometry as the target window, then quickly mapping and unmapping it.
Note that this doesn't work when the target window has backing store on.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee