[comp.windows.x] X libraries for Iris4D

moraes@CSRI.TORONTO.EDU (Mark Moraes) (12/03/89)

In <89Nov30.195258est.187@church.csri.toronto.edu> in comp.sys.sgi, I wrote:

> We've been happily running (sic) the MIT X libraries (X, Xt, Xmu, Xaw, oldX,
> Xext) as well as Xw for a while now -- even under 3.1. They compile
> fine with cc -I/usr/include/bsd and the same mods as the Mips.macros
> files indicate. In fact, we compiled most of the MIT X distribution's
> core and selected parts of contrib.

Me and my big mouth! For all those who asked, on cs.toronto.edu
(128.100.1.65), pub/X/iris4d.libX.tar.Z contains a sort of
library/include development kit for X11 on an SGI Iris4D. compiled
from the MIT X11R3 distribution (modified a bit by
xhacks@csri.toronto.edu) This is provided unsupported, as-is, with no
warranty whatsoever, no manuals (get them from the MIT distribution,
or one of the publishers that have books on X). If you want support or
lack the time/interest/xpertise to babysit this, get the X development
kit from SGI.

-rw-r--r--  1 moraes    1757745 Dec  2 21:44 iris4d.libX.tar.Z

This doesn't include any X binaries -- you should be enough to bootstrap
the rest of the distribution, possibly with some hacking. (We did a
'make -k World > make.world' and stood back...) I think this has got
everything in there needed to compile X programs that you can pick off
the Internet/comp.sources.x etc. Also, this has not been tested with the
SGI X server -- we use our displayless Power Iris as a compute server
to drive a variety of workstations/X-terminals.

This tar contains the following:

bin/ contains imake (binary), ximake, cc.bsd, install and mkdirhier
(shell scripts)

lib/ contains libraries, and a few other files that may be useful.
lib/lint contains lint libraries.

include contains X11/ (standard X11 includes for the libraries) and Xw/
which contains includes for libXw.

util/imake.includes contains our SGI.macros file -- it's a slightly changed
Mips.macros file. Also our Imake.rules, Imake.tmpl and site.def --
you'll want to hack at least the latter.

Note: Xt compiled programs will look for app-defaults in
/local/share/X11/app-defaults. Either edit libXt.a to fix this, or
recompile Xt with a new LIBDIR or mkdir /local/share/X11/app-defaults
on your machine.

ximake will look for the config information in ${xtop}/util/imake.includes.
We set xtop to /local/src/X. Change it to `pwd` so that it can find
./util/imake.includes. Then use 'ximake' to generate Makefiles the first
time.

We were able to compile most of the MIT X11R3 distribution with this.
(Possibly after some changes -- I don't feel like scanning all the RCS
logs looking for them. general hint: nuke any 'extern char *sprintf()'
declarations and use bin/cc.bsd)

Enjoy.