[comp.windows.x] Is it possible to translate characters ?

gengenba@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Gengenbach) (12/05/89)

Hello,

we have got a Mac IIcx running the eXodus server. Because we have
german keyboards and eXodus has no support for international keyboards
some characters are on the false position. For example 'z' and 'y'
are exchanged. Now I'm looking for a X solution of this problem.

I read about the translation tables in X and tried some commands in the
.Xdefaults-file which didn't work, for example:

     Any<Key>y: 'z'

Is it possible to use this translation tables to change the characters
you type in all applications. And if so, how?

BTW, we are running DECwindows on a DECstation 3100.

Thanks

   Michael
--
Michael Gengenbach  \/\/\/\/\/ gengenbach@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de
FORWISS              \/\/\/\/  gengenbach%unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de@unido.BITNET

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/06/89)

In article <810@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de>,
gengenba@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Michael Gengenbach) writes:
> Is it possible to use this translation tables to change the characters
> you type in all applications. And if so, how?

You probably want to change the keyboard mapping.  See section 7.9 of
the Xlib manual.  You can do this from the command line with xmodmap.
For example, on a DECstation 3100,
	xmodmap -e "keycode 195 = y Y"
will change cause the "z" key (keycode 195) to report y (unshifted)
and Y (shifted).

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee