[comp.windows.x] Problems getting keyboard input

paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) (12/02/89)

I am currently having no success trying to rad characters from the keyboard.
I am using DECwindows, and the Xt toolkit.  Here's how I set up the keyboard
read:

    EventMask event_mask = KeyPressMask;

    XtAddEventHandler(w->graphics_widget, event_mask, FALSE, key_pressed, w);

where key_pressed is the routine to handle the key events and
w->graphics_widget is a widget obtained by calling DwtWindow.

Here is the widget hierarchy I use:

    w->shell_widget = XtCreateApplicationShell(title, topLevelShellWidgetClass,
    NULL, 0);
    w->main_widget = DwtMainWindow(w->shell_widget, "MainWindow", 0, 0, 0, 0);
    w->graphics_widget = DwtWindow(w->main_widget, "GraphicsWindow", 0, 0,
    width, height, w->callback);

I have implemented a "mouse button pressed" routine that is almost identical,
and it works just fine.  With keyboard events, however, the 'key_pressed'
handle never even gets called!  Do I need to do more than just
XtAddEventHandler?

Thanks,
--
Paul Close	paul@cacilj.CTS.COM 	...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj!paul

    The Obi-wan Kenobi method:  "Use the Source, Luke"	-Jim Fulton

doug@ntvax.uucp (Douglas Scott) (12/07/89)

In article <1324@cacilj.UUCP> paul@cacilj.UUCP (Paul Close) writes:
>I am currently having no success trying to rad characters from the keyboard.
>I am using DECwindows, and the Xt toolkit.  Here's how I set up the keyboard
>read:
>		----SOME CODE DELETED ----

>I have implemented a "mouse button pressed" routine that is almost identical,
>and it works just fine.  With keyboard events, however, the 'key_pressed'
>handle never even gets called!  Do I need to do more than just
>XtAddEventHandler?

I think this is a problem with the DECwindows Window Manager...cf. the posting
about xdbx on the DEC 3100 and my followup.  There seems to be some problem
getting keyboard focus to shift to new applications.  Since you don't have
focus, of course you won't get any KeyPress or other Key events.  Anybody out
there know the solution...or the problem, even?

Douglas Scott
doug@dept.csci.unt.edu