[comp.windows.x] Getting full screen dumps

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (12/03/89)

Is there an undocumented way to tell xwd to dump the whole screen,
cursor and all, instead of the interactive move the cursor to the
window and press the button.  I want to get full screen dumps for
a tutorial manual using awm in our X environment here (a translation
of the fine one using twm from RIACS).
brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (12/03/89)

In article <40261@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov () writes:
>Is there an undocumented way to tell xwd to dump the whole screen,
>cursor and all, instead of the interactive move the cursor to the
>window and press the button.  I want to get full screen dumps for
>a tutorial manual using awm in our X environment here (a translation
>of the fine one using twm from RIACS).
>brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp
Yes, there is (-root)...  When in doubt, read the source!

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) (12/03/89)

In article <40265@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) writes:
>In article <40261@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> brooks@maddog.llnl.gov () writes:
>>Is there an undocumented way to tell xwd to dump the whole screen,
>>cursor and all, instead of the interactive move the cursor to the
>>window and press the button.  I want to get full screen dumps for
>>a tutorial manual using awm in our X environment here (a translation
>>of the fine one using twm from RIACS).
>>brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp
>Yes, there is (-root)...  When in doubt, read the source!
>
>brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp

Yes, that will work....  Here's another method.

This is for Suns in particular, I don't know about other hardware....

Create the following script:

screendump -ce | rasttopbm | pbmtoxwd | xpr -device ps -scale 2 | <lpr>

Then either hookup another terminal to your machine, or, if you
X-station is networked in your environment, log on again to your
machine (ie. rlogin, etc..).   Then run the script and the entire
screen will be dumped.

The problem I ran into was that I had bound the X utilities to a
function key (to keep the screen exact)  but then realized that I
couldn't get the twm menus in the dump. (since I had tied up twm in
poping up the menus.....  :-(  )

As I understand the script, I'm dumping the frame buffer through some of
pbm's and X's filters to convert it (finally) into PostScript which then is
piped into our Postscript printer.  Perhaps there is an easier way, but
the above worked fine.

(Thank you Dave Curry!)

-PWM
Peter W. Morreale                  email:  morreale@ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos Research
Scientific Computing Division      voice:  (303) 497-1293
Consulting Office

jef@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (12/03/89)

In the referenced message, morreale@bierstadt.UCAR.EDU (Peter Morreale) wrote:
}screendump -ce | rasttopbm | pbmtoxwd | xpr -device ps -scale 2 | <lpr>

Given the problems people have been having with the xwd file format, it's
probably best to avoid it when it's unnecessary.  In this case, you can do
a screendump | rasttopbm | pgmtops | lpr.  Yes, pGmtops -- the three PBMPLUS
formats are upward compatible.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
             It's better to burn out than to fade away...

rick@ssbell.UUCP (Richard Ohnemus) (12/07/89)

I just click the mouse button in the root window when I want a full
screen dump from xwd. That seems to be a bit easier then using the -root
option or using screendump on Suns.

--
I never receive credit for anything I write! (I'm an Ohnemus. 8-)

Rick Ohnemus                 UUCP:     rick@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: rick@ssbell.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362