[comp.windows.x] ghosts

clyne@redcloud.ucar.edu (John Clyne) (11/29/89)

Sorry if this has already been answered but I missed it if it was. I'm
running twm on a pmax (DECstation 3100) and every once and a while
I'll get a portion of a window that won't die. Actually, I don't think
its really a window but rather a ghost where one used to be (the process
associated with the window is dead). It will obscure anything I try to
place on top of it. It can't be moved, resized, iconified, etc. But,
most importantly I can't get it to go away
without restarting the session manager. I've tried killing twm and restarting
it but that doesn't work. Does anybody know what causes this and how
it can be fixed. Or at least how do I clear the thing after it happens.

thanks mucho - jc

	John Clyne 	(clyne@ncar.ucar.edu)
	P.O. Box 3000 Boulder, Colorado 80307
	(303) 497-1236

douglis@kvetching.Berkeley.EDU (Fred Douglis) (11/29/89)

In article <5479@ncar.ucar.edu>, clyne@redcloud.ucar.edu (John Clyne) writes:
> Sorry if this has already been answered but I missed it if it was. I'm
> running twm on a pmax (DECstation 3100) and every once and a while
> I'll get a portion of a window that won't die. Actually, I don't think
> its really a window but rather a ghost where one used to be (the process
> associated with the window is dead). It will obscure anything I try to
> place on top of it. It can't be moved, resized, iconified, etc.

I've seen this problem on a DECstation 3100 as well,
and I don't use twm.  It must be a server bug.

Fred

asente@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Asente) (11/29/89)

In article <5479@ncar.ucar.edu> clyne@ncar.ucar.edu (John Clyne) writes:
<Sorry if this has already been answered but I missed it if it was. I'm
<running twm on a pmax (DECstation 3100) and every once and a while
<I'll get a portion of a window that won't die. Actually, I don't think
<its really a window but rather a ghost where one used to be (the process
<associated with the window is dead). It will obscure anything I try to
<place on top of it. It can't be moved, resized, iconified, etc. But,
<most importantly I can't get it to go away
<without restarting the session manager. I've tried killing twm and restarting
<it but that doesn't work. Does anybody know what causes this and how
<it can be fixed. Or at least how do I clear the thing after it happens.

There was a bug in early versions of the pmax server that caused this; it's
probably not twm.  Are you using the latest server (UWS 2.1)?  If so, and if
the bug still exists, please submit a DEC bug report.  (Yes, I know it's
painful; people are working on making it easier...)

	-paul asente
	    asente@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!asente

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (12/02/89)

Please, folks, what server on what version of window system?  UWS 2.0
Xcfb had such a bug;
fixed in 2.1.
				- Jim

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (12/07/89)

It sounds like you are still running Ultrix 3.0/ UWS 2.0; it had a region
bug as you describe.

Make sure you upgrade to UWS 2.1.  It has been available since summer time.
				- Jim

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/08/89)

From article <1393@crltrx.crl.dec.com>, by jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys):
> It sounds like you are still running Ultrix 3.0/ UWS 2.0; it had a region
> bug as you describe.
>
> Make sure you upgrade to UWS 2.1.  It has been available since summer time.
> 				- Jim

I've seen it (once) on a VAXstation 2000 running Ultrix 3.1/UWS 2.1.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

ricks@shambhala.Berkeley.EDU (Rick L Spickelmier) (12/08/89)

I'm running Xcfb2 (UWS 2.1, Ultrix 3.? on a DECStation 3100). I see the
ghost problem quite often (5 or so times a week).  It happens whenever
I'm moving a window and my window manager places a new window (I run GWM
and have it automatically place all windows).

However, since I'm running the experimental/unsupported server (Xcfb2),
I haven't complained.

				Rick Spickelmier
				UC Berkeley

jg@max.crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (12/09/89)

Rick, you should go back to using Xcfb on UWS 2.1/Ultrix 3.1.  It has all the
stipple fill speed improvements of Xcfb2 on 2.0, and then some, and lots of
other performance work.
					- Jim