[comp.windows.x] Graphical Libraries ?

polman@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ben Polman) (11/30/89)

What graphical packages in X are available for drawing
interactively 2D and 3D plots from within a C-
or Fortran-program. I'm thinking of something like
GKS or DISSPLA. Any info would be appreciated.

                        Ben Polman

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/01/89)

In article <544@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl>, polman@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ben
Polman) writes:
> What graphical packages in X are available for drawing
> interactively 2D and 3D plots from within a C-
> or Fortran-program. I'm thinking of something like
> GKS or DISSPLA. Any info would be appreciated.

Aside from the built-in X drawing primitives, various vendors are
offering packages (either server extensions or client libraries) for
drawing with GKS, PHIGS, Display PostScript, and others.  Digital
offers all 3 for Digital workstations.  Other vendors are selling PHIGS
and the U. of Lowell is distributing a GKS to educational
institutions.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

david@ibmpa.UUCP (David Berkowitz) (12/09/89)

In article <544@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> polman@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ben Polman) writes:
>What graphical packages in X are available for drawing
>interactively 2D and 3D plots from within a C-
>or Fortran-program. I'm thinking of something like
>GKS or DISSPLA. Any info would be appreciated.

I would heartily recommend the xgks package available via anonymous ftp
from expo. xgks is a level 2C implementaion of gks for x11. c and fortran
bindings are included. previous postings describe the package more fully.
xgks is brought to you by IBM Technical Computing Systems - Cambridge and
the Computer Science Department of the University of Illinois -
Urbana/Champaign.

several other workstation vendors have a similar package.
i'm sure they would be happy to sell it to you.

David Berkowitz   uunet!ibmsuptoutrigger!!david   (415) 855-4485

The opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of IBM