[comp.windows.x] client/server?

cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) (12/09/89)

Is it possible to do the following:

Log into local (slow) workstation.
rlogin over to one of the fast machines
Start X over on my workstation.

Reading the X man pages, this appears easily done.  Guess what?  I can't
do it.  I either bring up X on the fast machine, using it's display;
bring up X on the slow machine, using it's display, or bring up a
non-working version of X on the fast machine.

Anybody done this?

Chan Wilson -- cwilson@nisc.sri.com <or> cwilson@nic.ddn.mil
'A computer operator at SRI International'
"I think, therefore...uh...I should be?"
...UUCP/GS in research phase. More to come...

haozhou@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (hao zhou) (12/10/89)

In article <10719@fs2.NISC.SRI.COM> cwilson@NISC.SRI.COM (Chan Wilson) writes:

>Is it possible to do the following:
>
>Log into local (slow) workstation.
>rlogin over to one of the fast machines
>Start X over on my workstation.

i don't think you can do this.
one major difference of X to the other window systems is that display power
and computational power are separate on different machines. X server (partially
including window manager) is running on your local machine managing i/o and
display of each window. Meanwhile X clients are running on a remote host.

>Reading the X man pages, this appears easily done.  Guess what?  I can't
>do it.  I either bring up X on the fast machine, using it's display;

if you rlogin on a remote host, you can't take any advantage of your local
machine since it becomes a regular terminal. in the other words, you won't
be able to have your local machine display windows.

>bring up X on the slow machine, using it's display, or bring up a
>non-working version of X on the fast machine.

the correct way to do this is use a local *slow* machine to bring up window
while using a remote *fast* machine to run x clients or other applications.

	hao

Hao Zhou                 { Dept of Math, SUNY at Buffalo }
haozhou@sun.acsu.buffalo.edu
V092R9AZ@UBVMS.BITNET