[comp.windows.x] xwud error message

smikes@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (steven.mikes) (12/09/89)

I am using a PBM Plus utility (rasttoppm output piped to ppmtoxwd) to
produce a xwd file, of a Sun rasterfile originally produced with
"screendump" on a Sun 3.  When I try to display the image in X using
xwud, I get the following error message:

xwud: could not find matching visual.
xwud: Error => exiting.

Can anyone tell me what this means?

Thanks in advance!

Steve
--
Steven Mikes - HO 2A-606	Phone: (201) 949-7737
Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ 07733	e-mail:	{att!}hound!smikes

jef@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (12/09/89)

}
}xwud: could not find matching visual.
}xwud: Error => exiting.
}
}Can anyone tell me what this means?

It means that xwud is both overly picky about what visuals it considers
a match, and not very helpful to the poor user who just wants to
display an image.

It seems like a good idea to avoid the use of xwd and friends.  They are
really awful.  Try xgif or xloadimage instead.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
         "...rum, sodomy, and the lash!" -- Winston Churchill

battle@alphard.cs.utk.edu (David Battle) (12/12/89)

In article <14875@well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <jef@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
>It seems like a good idea to avoid the use of xwd and friends.  They are
>really awful.  Try xgif or xloadimage instead.

So how do you suggest we make dumps of our windows?  Are there other utilities
which do this?

						-David L. Battle
						battle@battle.esd.ornl.gov