[comp.windows.x] X server over modem

ral@ARISTOTLE-GW.JPL.NASA.GOV (Roger Lighty) (12/14/89)

This summarizes responses I from:

 article <8912111855.AA10009@aristotle.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>,
	ral@aristotle-gw.jpl.nasa.GOV (Roger Lighty) which I wrote:

> I am looking for an X server which can be used over a 9600
> baud interface to a PC.  The PC runs  DOS or SCO XENIX.  There
> I am developing an application on a SUN workstation with an
> X windows based direct manipulation interface.  My end users
> are Three hours away in the desert.

In a response; From: milton!caesar.cs.montana.edu!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!
    samsung!shadooby!sharkey!cfctech!teemc!mibte  (W W Scott)
QUERIES? :

>> are Three hours away in the desert.
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>by car or by data link?

By car (or car and light plane) -- how fast was that car flying?  The
available data link is in-house proprietary -- and to my inforamtion not
compatible with anything else.

I received replies from a number of people:

	 vaysseix@inria.inria.fr (Guy Vaysseix)
	 Eduardo Krell <hector!ekrell>
	 erik!randy@uunet.UU.NET (Randy Brown)
	 gauss.llnl.gov!casey@lll-winken.llnl.gov  (Casey Leedom)

With the common two options:
 1) GraphOn X-terminal (~$1300) provides X operations over low speed lines.
	GraphOn X terminal runs the X server on your host and talks
	to the terminal over the 9600 baud line with a	proprietary
	compressed protocol

 2) Use SLIP : interconnect PC's and Sun under TCP/IP via a SLIP (Serial Line
    IP) interface (IP over a tty line) & install a X-server on the PC:
		last release of SCO Unix support X server;
			or
		several PC based X-server are available,
		eg : PC-Xview (Graphic Software System).

Many feel that this last option is too slow for X operation as some
X clients have extensive communication with the server.  Also the
X overhead may be too great for this limited bandwidth link.  For my
limited needs (sending demonstration panels to site) option 2 may
be adequate.

NOTE 1:  gauss.llnl.gov!casey@lll-winken.llnl.gov  (Casey Leedom)

NOTE 2:  gauss.llnl.gov!casey@lll-winken.llnl.gov  (Casey Leedom)
>	 for discussion on implementing methods to use the X Windows
>	 System efficiently across low bandwidth communications links.
>
>	    If you wish to be added to this list, please send a note to
>	 x-serial-request@lll-crg.llnl.gov.
>
>	   The list ... archives are available via anonymous ftp from
>	 LLL-CRG.LLNL.GOV in the subdirectory mailing-lists/x-serial.

TANX for all the responses

-- roger

Roger Lighty                  (818) 354-3525 ; (818) 354-3957
Jet Propulsion Lab.
ral@aristotle.jpl.nasa.gov    PLACE STANDARD DISCLAIMER HERE!