[comp.windows.x] CAPS key on a Sparc

morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) (12/15/89)

Apologies if this was covered and I missed it....

I have a user with a color SparcStation and we're having a little
trouble with the CAPS key.  The problem is that the key doesn't seem
to work. (ie. depress and you still get lower case)

I've verified that the X server believes that the key is pressed
(from the simple-minded xshowkey client from O'Reilly)

In addition, we also have a B&W Sparc and the CAPS key works fine
on it.  (both are using the same server)

Sun OS 4.0.3

Any suggestions, comments, jokes, greatly appreciated

Thanx,
-PWM
--------
Peter W. Morreale                  email:  morreale@ncar.ucar.edu
Nat'l Center for Atmos Research
Scientific Computing Division      voice:  (303) 497-1293
Consulting Office
--------

anon@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Omar S. Juma) (12/15/89)

In article <5691@ncar.ucar.edu> morreale@bierstadt.ucar.edu (Peter Morreale) writes:
>Apologies if this was covered and I missed it....
>
>I have a user with a color SparcStation and we're having a little
>trouble with the CAPS key.  The problem is that the key doesn't seem
>to work. (ie. depress and you still get lower case)
>
>I've verified that the X server believes that the key is pressed
>(from the simple-minded xshowkey client from O'Reilly)
>
>In addition, we also have a B&W Sparc and the CAPS key works fine
>on it.  (both are using the same server)

Contact your local Sun representative and get a colored CAPS key.  They
come in green, amber, red, blue, and violet.  The type on the key is
always white.  Mind you, the color you choose is rather important,
since it has a 15% tint effect on your color display.  Of course, you
could correct that with a gamma table, but I don't think any X server
supports that yet.  There are other solutions:

- Replace your color Sparc with a B&W Sparc.  Get a tinted glass
  screen cover.  Green and red are great.
- Replace your color Sparc with a B&W Sparc.  Get a cycling-tint
  glass screen cover.  Those are only available on 42nd Street
  stores, and you have to bargain hard.
- Replace your color Sparc with a B&W Sparc.  Then use your imagination.
- Buy a second color Sparc.  I think the production line alternates
  between broken CAPS keys and broken SHIFT keys (actually, only
  one of the two keys, left or right, is bad, and there's no way of
  finding out until you unpack it).  A friend at Sun tells me they
  have plans for double-type keys (i.e., a key must be pressed
  twice to result in a key event).
- Unbundle your two Sparcs, put the parts in a big bin, mix with
  a large wooden oar, and put them back together again.  It may
  all work.  It may all not work.  It may work the same.
- Buy your local Sun representative a Christmas present.  I hear
  they like antique Sun1 keyboards.
- Try a Sun1 keyboard.
- Don't eat and type.
- Don't drink and type.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before you type.
- Pass a urine drug test.
- Pass a uring drug test twice.
- Use the SHIFT key.  Why on earth would you need a CAPS key when
  you have two functioning SHIFT keys?  Some people are never satisfied.

...anon...