[comp.windows.x] up-to-date twm version

jberk@pretzel.sw.stratus.com (Joe Berkovitz) (12/12/89)

Could someone please tell me as to where I might be able to pick up the
recent version
of twm that Lou Steinberg referred to earlier (v. 5.31)?

Thanks,
	Joe Berkovitz (jberk@pretzel.sw.stratus.com)

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (12/12/89)

    Could someone please tell me as to where I might be able to pick up the
    recent version of twm

I'd recommend the version that will be part of R4, available at the end of
this yearish.

In article <465@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> jberk@pretzel.sw.stratus.com (Joe Berkovitz) writes:
>Could someone please tell me as to where I might be able to pick up the
>recent version
>of twm that Lou Steinberg referred to earlier (v. 5.31)?
>
>Thanks,
>	Joe Berkovitz (jberk@pretzel.sw.stratus.com)

Me too! We have been having no end of troubles getting twm to work
with common windows and composer in Allegro. It doesn`t trash the
system, just the Lisp program itself (the process hangs). We have the
same problem with another (very nice) manager gwm. To date, we can
only get Allegro/common windows/composer to run in either uwm (yuck)
or awm. Thanks for the help.

				Bill Punch
				punch@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
				Michigan State AI/KBS Lab

jdi@sparky.Franz.COM (John Irwin) (12/19/89)

In article <5769@cps3xx.UUCP> punch@cpswh.UUCP (Dr William Punch) writes:
>Me too! We have been having no end of troubles getting twm to work
>with common windows and composer in Allegro. It doesn`t trash the
>system, just the Lisp program itself (the process hangs). We have the
>same problem with another (very nice) manager gwm. To date, we can
>only get Allegro/common windows/composer to run in either uwm (yuck)
>or awm. Thanks for the help.
>
>				Bill Punch
>				punch@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
>				Michigan State AI/KBS Lab

  I might point out that none of the publicly available twm versions up
to now are ICCCM compliant.  We have gone to some effort to ensure that
X Common Windows (and thus Composer) works with either uwm or an
ICCCM compliant window manager.

  We tried many window managers while developing xcw.  None of these
were both ICCCM compliant and reasonably bug free.  (Although a recent
fix to gwm may make it fully ICCCM compliant)
Uwm isn't ICCCM compliant, but at least it's well behaved.

  We feel we have excellent user support.  But you have to give us a chance;
this is the first time we've heard of your difficulty.  If you have any
further problems or questions, please contact us at:
	bugs@franz.com

  Thank you,
		John Irwin
		Franz Inc.