[comp.windows.x] Help for X applications

stevef@sidd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Steve Fanshier) (12/19/89)

What are the standard methods (and nonstandard too, I guess)
of providing help to a user of a window application?  The
Presentation Manager Style Guide recommends utilizing the F1 key
and having a Help item on the menu bar. What packages/techniques are
available, though, for actually providing the help, context
sensitive or otherwise, for applications running under, say, MOTIF?

I am also interested in pointers to papers which discuss
how best to present online assistance to the user. Any help
here would be much appreciated.

Steve Fanshier                  | Being attacked by hyenas
steve.fanshier@sandiego.ncr.com |  isn't as funny as it sounds.
{ucsd|pyramid|hplabs|ncrlnk}    |
            !ncr-sd!sidd!stevef |

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/19/89)

In article <2241@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM>, stevef@sidd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
(Steve Fanshier) writes:
> What are the standard methods (and nonstandard too, I guess)
> of providing help to a user of a window application?

According to the style guides, DECwindows applications should have a
menu bar at the top of the main window, with HELP on the far right.
Motif has the same menu bar, plus HELP buttons on dialog boxes.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee