[comp.windows.x] How long a release takes

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (12/20/89)

In article <HOGAN.89Dec19143137@trollope.csl.sri.com> hogan@csl.sri.com (Emmett Hogan) writes:

>Patrick> When you receive X11R4 (this decadeish) xlock will not work.
>
>Is it just me or does this sound ridiculous ?  Patches for unreleased
>software, why not just fix it before it is released ?

It's just you.

Typically, a commercial release of a size close to what X11R4 is would
require a functionality freeze around 10 weeks before shipment.  4-6
weeks later would be the final freeze for shipment, after which final
tapes are made and the QA group would do a final set of tests.

X11R4 is supposed to be released this year, which means in the next two
weeks.  If the folks finishing up the release put in every fix they get
over the last few weeks, they won't be able to even see if the things
compile, let alone take a few days off for the holiday season.

I think it's fairly reasonable of Patrick to expect that his patches
might not make it into the final release, given how recently this
problem was found.
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce | (408)944-4073

swick@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Ralph R. Swick) (12/20/89)

> let alone take a few days off for the holiday season.

Holidays? What'r they?  Oh yeah, maybe it's a reference to
this 'days left' number on my paycheck which stopped
incrementing long ago...

Actually, the posted application patch applies to *any* server
which is implemented to spec, so assuming that you're safe 'till
R4 arrives isn't correct, as Guy points out.