[comp.windows.x] X and UNIFY Embedded SQL

carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (12/01/89)

We are contemplating developing a program that uses both UNIFY Embedded SQL
(RHLI) and XView in the same process.  I have heard of problems with SunView and
Informix SQL in the same process, but I never verified this.  Do X toolkits
and embedded SQLs work well together, or is it a future product (when)?
Please send me a response.

Thanks,

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) (12/02/89)

In article <637@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:

>We are contemplating developing a program that uses both UNIFY Embedded SQL
>(RHLI) and XView in the same process. I have heard of problems with SunView and
>Informix SQL in the same process, but I never verified this.  Do X toolkits
>and embedded SQLs work well together, or is it a future product (when)?
>Please send me a response.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Carlson
>carlson@tis.llnl.gov

I'm not sure what you're trying to do, but there is no conflict between ESQL
and XView at all.  However, since ESQL doesn't know about XView, it seems to
me that you will have to do all the hard work yourself.

In terms of a future product from Unify, we have announced our Accell/SQL 4GL
and Applications Generator product on Open Look.  This will give you the
ability to build applications in the X environment on top of the Unify 2000
database.  Availability, since you asked (i.e. no flames, please) is announced
as first quarter 1990.

David Harrington
Unify Corp.

truett@cup.portal.com (Truett Lee Smith) (12/07/89)

Since I may have been the person who brought this up, let me comment on what
I found out.

It turns out that Unify has a problem with windowing environments only when
you use one of their programs that interacts with the keyboard.  The HLI
library does not have a problem since it does not change any signal handlers
once it has finished initializing itself.  Thus, properly constructed code
for handling the selectors and interactors in X and InterViews work just fine
if only the HLI functions are being used.

I found this out once I got the right engineer in my own organization talking
to the Unify support person.  By the way, I have had very good experience
with Unify support.  Their support system gives me the same feeling of confi-
dence that the Oracle support system did when I dealt with them in the past.
Of course, in both cases I was a developer, not an end user.

Truett Smith
NEC America

(I don't speak for NEC, I'm not fluent in Japanese anyway.)

onsc@wmt.UUCP (Onno Schipperus) (12/21/89)

In article <637@ncis.tis.llnl.gov>,
carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:

> We are contemplating developing a program that uses both
> UNIFY Embedded SQL
> (RHLI) and XView in the same process.
> I have heard of problems with SunView and
> Informix SQL in the same process,
> but I never verified this.  Do X toolkits
> and embedded SQLs work well together,
> or is it a future product (when)?
> Please send me a response.

We have done pretty much the same and it works for us. We have
build a CASEtool product in X-windows, used Open Dialogue from
Apollo, ported that to all kinds of machines, used Ingres
ESQLC and compiled that in various steps. It works. We did the
same for Informix ESQLC and it works too, also we did this for
UNIFY, and again....

So I see no problem in having ESQL code and X-calls work
together in one executable.

Good luck, if you need any help .....

Onno Schipperus            |    Email  : hp4nl!wmt!onsc
CASE Product Manager       |    Phone  : +31-15-610815
Westmount Technology BV.   |    Fax    : +31-15-565701
Poortweg 8, 2612 PA Delft  |    PO box : 5063, 2600 GB Delft
The Netherlands