[comp.windows.x] X Server for Dec 3100

hoyt@decatl.dec.com (Kurt Hoyt) (12/19/89)

In article <1130@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> miket@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Michael Tranlong) writes:
>Does the DecStation have to be running ULTRIX or is VMS okay?

Do you have a DECstation 3100 or a VAXstation 3100 A poor choice of model
numbers has resulted in a bit of confusion...

If you have a DECstation, the only thing it can run is ULTRIX, so it has to
be running ULTRIX. VMS will run on the VAXstation (as will ULTRIX).

>What about the communication layer?  Between two SUNs running
>UNIX everything works fine through the TCP/IP protocol, but is there
>a problem since the DecStation doesn't have TCP/IP?

Since TCP/IP is part of ULTRIX, the DECstation will have it. So will a
VAXstation running ULTRIX.

--
Kurt Hoyt
Digital Equipment Corporation

ISSLCK@NUSVM.BITNET (Law Chee Keong) (12/19/89)

As far as I know, Dec station 3100 runs only Ultrix and TCP/IP - hence
you can simply use the xhost facility to use the X server on the DEC
while running your clients on the Sun.  (assuming your DEC is connected
with the Suns via TCP/IP)
I did just that and the performance is really super.

thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) (12/20/89)

:
: If you have a DECstation, the only thing it can run is ULTRIX, so it has
: to be running ULTRIX. VMS will run on the VAXstation (as will ULTRIX).

While I did not ask the original question, I do have a similar problem.
We, unfortunately, are running VMS on VAXstation 3100 which I'm almost sure
uses DECNET for communications.  I am interested in starting an xterm to a
SUN workstation running Unix and TCP.  I have been told that I can either
get the SUN to understand DECNET or the VAXstation to understand TCP.  Can
anyone shed a little more light on this for me.  I am a relatively new
user, so please bear with me.  Thanks.

Todd Thompson

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (12/20/89)

In article <51115@srcsip.UUCP> thompson@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Todd Thompson) writes:
>While I did not ask the original question, I do have a similar problem.
>We, unfortunately, are running VMS on VAXstation 3100 which I'm almost sure
>uses DECNET for communications.  I am interested in starting an xterm to a
>SUN workstation running Unix and TCP.  I have been told that I can either
>get the SUN to understand DECNET or the VAXstation to understand TCP.  Can
>anyone shed a little more light on this for me.  I am a relatively new
>user, so please bear with me.  Thanks.

At the DECUS symposium in November, DEC announced that VMS v5.3 would
have the necessary 'hooks' to allow VMS DECwindows to work over a
TCP/IP link.  Also, they said that whatever part of the DEC TCP/IP
product that was necessary to do this would be installable without
a license (I may be wrong about this last item).

Wollongong, Multinet and CMU (VMS TCP/IP software suppliers) are all
working on their tranport software for DECwindows.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (12/20/89)

> : If you have a DECstation, the only thing it can run is ULTRIX, so it has
> : to be running ULTRIX. VMS will run on the VAXstation (as will ULTRIX).
>
> We, unfortunately, are running VMS on VAXstation 3100 which I'm almost sure
> uses DECNET for communications.  I am interested in starting an xterm to a
> SUN workstation running Unix and TCP.  I have been told that I can either
> get the SUN to understand DECNET or the VAXstation to understand TCP.

	Or in the interm, if you have a nearby ULTRIX system that's running
	DECnet, install the unsupported DECnet subset then take a look at
	at the README file in the /usr/examples/decnet/gatethru directory.
	The README file tells you how to use the example program in that
	directory as a transport level bridge between DECnet and TCP/IP for
	the purpose of an X11 gateway between VMS and Internet systems.

	This is V3.0 and later of DECnet-ULTRIX, though once you have a
	copy of the program/README it should work on pre-V3.0 DECnet-ULTRIX
	systems.

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (12/20/89)

In article <1130@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> miket@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Michael Tranlong) writes:
>Hello Dec Xperts,
>
>I am trying to run X clients on SUNs with the X server on a Dec 3100.
Please, do not confuse DECstation 3100 (ULTRIX/Rics) and VAXstation 3100
(VMS/VAX). Anyway, both of them can work.

The DECstation 3100 X server works great for clients running of Sun/SPARC
It's fast. The only glitches under UWS 2.1 are that the server reports
save_under and backing_store as true - but it does not do it. Plus I have
seen some glitches with XCopyPlane, my widgets use it do display Bitmap
icons in foreground color, but sometimes it displays my bitmap twice, side
by side. DEC just announced UWS 2.2, I hope it to be even better...

The VAXstation 3100 X server from VMS up to 5.2 ONLY supports LOCAL and
DECNET transport. Plus it has some byte swapping problems with protocol
requests comming from SPARC and similiar machines. However, the next VMS
release is expected to include DECwindows 2.0, which (among other things)
includes multiple transport support. It should come with TCP/IP transport
based on DEC UCX (Ultrix Connection) product, and documentation/examples
on how to write a transport layer for anything you want. I can not say
more, but I'v seen client running on SPARCstation display on VS3100.

Besides using the DEC UCX product (I'v got no ideas about it's pricing,
but quite few ideas about it's reliability and ease of use), you COULD
take the other way. That means getting DECnet for Sun. But you would have
to modify Xlib == use MIT Xlib sources etc. May end up more work than
worth it.

Martin Brunecky, Auto-trol Technology Corporation,
12500 North Washington Street, Denver, CO-80241-2404
(303) 252-2499                                        ncar!ico!auto-trol!marbru

CLAR@FRESE51.BITNET (12/21/89)

        An other solution is to wait for VMS 5.3 / DECwindows 2.0 and to
get VMS/ULTRIX connection. By this way you can manage with TCP/IP between
your VMS Vaxstation and your SUN's workstatiions.

        Daniel Clar
        Ecole Superieure d'Electricite
        Plateau de Moulon
        91192 GIF-sur-Yvette Cedex