[comp.windows.x] boldface in xterm?

cspencer@spdcc.COM (Cliff Spencer) (12/20/89)

I am unable to get bold fonts to work under xterm. I am specifying
-fn <font> and  -fb <font> args but boldface from nroff still comes
out as underline. Since "nroff -man x | more" shows boldface under Sunview,
I am assuming a similar effect can be achieved under X11R3, How do I
do it?
						-cliff
--
Cliff Spencer
spdcc!lemming!cspencer 			lemming!cspencer@spdcc.com

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (12/20/89)

Getting boldface requires a change to the termcap entry that is shipped with
most systems.  I don't happen to have it handy at the moment, but will try
to document it for R4.

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (12/21/89)

Cliff Spencer <cspencer@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> asks:

	I am unable to get bold fonts to work under xterm.

Your termcap entry for xterm is hosed.

Change the entry for so from \E[7m (inverse) to \E[5m (bold), or
\E[4m for underscore (whoa!) ...

/jordan

In article <8912202206.AA12193@Morgan.COM> jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
>Cliff Spencer <cspencer@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> says:
>>I am unable to get bold fonts to work under xterm.
>Your termcap entry for xterm is hosed.
>Change the entry for so from \E[7m (inverse) to \E[5m (bold), or
>\E[4m for underscore (whoa!) ...

A nit:  \E[1m is bold.  \E[5m is actually blinking, ala
standard DEC terminal attributes, but someone decided that
xterms don't do blinking, so it gets crowbarred to bold so
that there's some sort of emphasis put on a thing that
should be blinking.

				--Blair
				  "\E[1;5mBlinking Bold.\E[m"