[comp.windows.x] DECwindows on PCs

phil@diablo.amd.com (12/13/89)

I just saw an announcement of DECwindows on a PC. It is called PCSA
Ver 3.0, from DEC, for $250. It runs out of expanded memory (sure wish
Sun Micro would teach PC-NFS how to do that instead of whining about
how hard it is) and leaves you with 512K for local applications.

This sounds wonderful assuming that

	1) it really works
	2) DECwindows is another name for X
	3) it runs over TCP/IP as well as DECnet.

Has anyone used or seen this product and would they like to comment?

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Washington D.C. is the murder capital of the nation.

CCMK@latvax8.lat.oz (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (12/16/89)

In article <28362@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@diablo.amd.com writes:
> I just saw an announcement of DECwindows on a PC. It is called PCSA
> Ver 3.0, from DEC, for $250. It runs out of expanded memory (sure wish
> Sun Micro would teach PC-NFS how to do that instead of whining about
> how hard it is) and leaves you with 512K for local applications.
>
> This sounds wonderful assuming that
>
> 	1) it really works
> 	2) DECwindows is another name for X
> 	3) it runs over TCP/IP as well as DECnet.

Note that PC DECwindows is available in the current version of
PCSA (2.2), although it is not as good.  v3.0 uses extended or
expanded memory, there are 286 and 386 specific versions, it
works wonderfully as long as you have a couple of megabytes of
memory minimum (barely works with 640KB and disk swapping, okay
at 1MB with some extended memory, and great with +2MB memory),
only uses DECnet (as part of PCSA software) and is not Xwindows.
The last point simply means that you run windows as supplied
on DEC systems, which is DECwindows.  You are only a server
(display).  It completely takes control of your PC, there is
no space left for anything else.

Mark Kosten,          phone: +61 3 479-2767
Computer Centre,      ACSnet/UUCP/Bitnet: ccmk@latvax8.lat.oz
La Trobe University,  X25: 234730008 (ccmk@latrobe.edu.au)
Bundoora,
Victoria 3083
Australia

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (12/19/89)

In article <297@latvax8.lat.oz> CCMK@latvax8.lat.oz (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
|only uses DECnet (as part of PCSA software) and is not Xwindows.
|The last point simply means that you run windows as supplied
|on DEC systems, which is DECwindows.  You are only a server

What do you mean? I thought DECwindows and X were the same or a
superset or something. Did you actually try this? Why do you say this?

--

CCMK@latvax8.lat.oz (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (12/22/89)

In article <28447@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <297@latvax8.lat.oz> CCMK@latvax8.lat.oz (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
> |only uses DECnet (as part of PCSA software) and is not Xwindows.
> |The last point simply means that you run windows as supplied
> |on DEC systems, which is DECwindows.  You are only a server
>
> What do you mean? I thought DECwindows and X were the same or a
> superset or something. Did you actually try this? Why do you say this?

I didn't mean to imply DECwindows was not Xwindows, just that because
PC DECwindows uses DECnet you are limited to using a DEC client,
which only supplies DECwindows.  Note that an Xwindows applications
compiled for a DEC machine will happily display on the PC server
(coincidentally I just ran xclock, which proves the point).