[comp.windows.x] XView and MOTIF info

hook@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) (12/12/89)

Hi, I'm having some trouble implementing some X11R3 stuff that I've gotten
(downloaded) recently, and I'm hoping someone out there has already solved
these issues. They are:
1) XView is SUPER SLOW even on the SPARCstation 1 which I use (I haven't
   even dared to try it on our color 3/60s!!). Is there something
   special that nneds to be done to make it run faster? (This is the
   alpha release of XView).

2) How long 'till a more flexible olwm (the Open Look Window Manager) comes
   out? This window manager, in conjunction with XView utils, is VERY
   inflexible. Even Sun admits to many important Open Look features being
   hardwired instead of being user-selectable.

3) Will all of this XView stuff be corrected as of the public consumption
   release of X11R4 (due out NEXT month???). i.e., is Sun expected to
   release at least the beta version of this XView stuff (and olwm) in
   conjunction with the release of X11R4?

4) Finally, where can I find MOTIF (to be run on a system on Sun 3/60s
   and SPARCstation 1s)? Also, I'll need the correponding MOTIF type
   window manager. If this stuff is available at expo.lcs.mit.edu? This
   is where I've been getting most of my stuff. Also, is the current
   release of MOTIF a bit more mature than the XView release?

Thanks for your replys,

Chris Hook.

david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (David E. Smyth) (12/12/89)

hook@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Chris Hook) writes:

>4) Finally, where can I find MOTIF (to be run on a system on Sun 3/60s
>   and SPARCstation 1s)? Also, I'll need the correponding MOTIF type
>   window manager. If this stuff is available at expo.lcs.mit.edu? This
>   is where I've been getting most of my stuff. Also, is the current
>   release of MOTIF a bit more mature than the XView release?

a) Bang, pound, yell, and scream at your SUN marketing rep.  Maybe
someday they will offer a good, pure X server and Motif, but only
if we all make alot of noise.

b) Call one of these groups for Motif on Suns:

Torch Technology Ltd makes a Motif with shared libs, and
a darn good MIT derived-but-optimized X11R3 server.  Their
distributor is:
	Murray Gillham
	ATC (Advanced Technology Center)
	5711 Slauson Ave, Suite 238
	Culver City CA 90230
	voice: (213)568-9119
	TWX: 510-101-1670

ICS also provides Motif for Suns.  They still provide
the figures in the back instead of interspersed thru-out
like they should be, but someday...  They also give REALLY
good courses on Motif.
	ISC (Integrated Computer Solutions)
	Oh my goodness!  I can't find their address.
	Sombody please fill in this blank...

PJS@GROUCH.JPL.NASA.GOV (Peter Scott) (12/13/89)

wuarchive!usc!henry.jpl.nasa.gov!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!jpl-devvax!david@eddie.mit.edu
  (David E. Smyth) writes:

>ICS also provides Motif for Suns.  They still provide
>the figures in the back instead of interspersed thru-out
>like they should be, but someday...  They also give REALLY
>good courses on Motif.
>	ISC (Integrated Computer Solutions)
>	Oh my goodness!  I can't find their address.
>	Sombody please fill in this blank...

163 Harvard Street                       43-15 36th Street
Cambridge, MA  02139                     L.I.C., NY  11101
(617) 547-0510 (voice)                   (718) 361-2811
(617) 547-0758 (fax)

Peter Scott (pjs@grouch.jpl.nasa.gov)

jordan@morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (12/14/89)

David E. Smyth <david@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> writes:

	Maybe someday they (Sun) will offer a good, pure X server and
	Motif, but only if we all make alot of noise.

Well, their X server is pretty good (blows away Quest or Torch), but
who needs them to get Motif?  There's plenty of people around who can
give it to you.  Try OSF for one, since you can get the latest sources
(the other vendors are usually 6 months behind the current sources, for
good reason) and it's trivial to make it used shared libraries.

	Torch Technology Ltd makes a Motif with shared libs, and a darn
	good MIT derived-but-optimized X11R3 server.

I think you should qualify the "darn good" there.  I found it to be
only slightly faster at scrolling text, and not faster at all for doing
filled polygons.  xnews, the OpenWindows server, performs just fine for
me (okay, so it's not what the PMAX looks like, but it doesn't run
Uglix either ;-).

If you want to bang on Sun, bang on them for not supporting the Xt
Intrinsics which, despite their name, are not supported in
OpenWindows.  They aren't even available from Sun.

So much for Open-ness.

/jordan

lerici@SUPER.ORG (Peter W. Brewer) (12/14/89)

We would like to know about any and all X server for
suns vendors (FAST/good) & MOTIF for Suns vendors..
It would be nice if someone out there was working
with Crays and other 'strange' architectures.
Any info is greatly appreciated and will happily
be passed along on the net.

Peter Brewer             ||||     |||||  |||||||||  ||||||  //|||||\  ||||||
lerici@super.org	 ||       ||__   ||     ||    ||   ||           ||
THE Supercomputing       ||       ||     ||^^^^^^\\   ||   ||           ||
Research Center ~~~      |||||||| |||||  ||       || |||||  \\|||||/  ||||||

tomj@SUN.COM (Tom Jacobs) (12/23/89)

> From: hook@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Chris Hook)
> Date: 11 Dec 89 18:34:52 GMT
>
> Hi, I'm having some trouble implementing some X11R3 stuff that I've gotten
> (downloaded) recently, and I'm hoping someone out there has already solved
> these issues. They are:
> 1) XView is SUPER SLOW even on the SPARCstation 1 which I use (I haven't
>    even dared to try it on our color 3/60s!!). Is there something
>    special that nneds to be done to make it run faster? (This is the
>    alpha release of XView).

If you're running XView under OpenWindows, you should start-up your server
with the environment variable X11ONLY set and run with olwm.  In this
configuration, or under R4, XView applications run extremely well.

> 2) How long 'till a more flexible olwm (the Open Look Window Manager) comes
>    out? This window manager, in conjunction with XView utils, is VERY
>    inflexible. Even Sun admits to many important Open Look features being
>    hardwired instead of being user-selectable.
>
> 3) Will all of this XView stuff be corrected as of the public consumption
>    release of X11R4 (due out NEXT month???). i.e., is Sun expected to
>    release at least the beta version of this XView stuff (and olwm) in
>    conjunction with the release of X11R4?

A new version of XView and olwm, with new features and bug fixes, will
ship from MIT in the /contrib portion of the standard X11 R4 release.
This new version fixes many of the problems reported against the alpha
version.  We will make this R4 software available on expo by December
31st.  If you'd like to tell us what you'd like to see be "more
flexible" in olwm, please send mail to xviewbugs@sun.com
(..!sun!xviewbugs) and we'll let you know what is fixed and what is
planned to be fixed.

Tom Jacobs
Sun Microsystems, Inc.
tomj@sun.com  (..!sun.tomj)