[comp.windows.x] group permissions and xdm

wright@hsi.UUCP (Gary Wright) (12/20/89)

MIT X11R3, VAX 4.3 BSD, NCD16 terminal:

When using xdm, my group permissions as reported by groups(1)
are not set correctly.  I have done some debugging and have found
that the groups are correct in XDM after the setgroups() call
(determined by getgroups). After the execve of
"/usr/local/lib/xdm/Xsession" the group permissions are incorrect.
I though that group permissions are inherited across an exec.
Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Xdm is running at root.
Also, Xsession is executable and is as follows:

#!/bin/ksh
#
# Xsession
#
# This is the program that is run as the client
# for the display manager.  This example is
# quite friendly as it attempts to run a per-user
# .xsession file instead of forcing a particular
# session layout
#

#
# KornShell /etc/profile.  This file is executed first for every
# xdm login session,
#

export	PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/bin/X11:/usr/hsi/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin

if [ -f $HOME/.xsession ]; then
	exec $HOME/.xsession
else
	uwm &
	exec xterm -fn 10x20 -geometry 80x24+20+20 -ls
fi

Any help would be appreciated.
--
Gary Wright                                     ...!uunet!hsi!wright
Health Systems International                    wright@hsi.com

dm@genie.UUCP (David Mischel) (12/27/89)

In article <936@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, wright@hsi.UUCP (Gary Wright) writes:
> When using xdm, my group permissions as reported by groups(1)
> are not set correctly.

on DEC 8650, BSD 4.3(tahoe), XV11R3--
i used initgroups in session.c to fix this:

#ifdef NGROUPS
        /*
         * setgroups (verify->ngroups, verify->groups);
         */
        initgroups(greet->name, verify->groups[0]);
#else
        setgid (verify->gid);
#endif

David Mischel                       These opinions are cloned from my very own
dm@genie.gene.com                   cells, and not from any belonging to
                                    Genentech, Inc.