[comp.windows.x] client for color display?

matsumot@deimos.ads.com (Michael Matsumoto) (12/21/89)

Hey.  I'm looking for a client that can display color xwd format
files.  This is how the xwd files were obtained: they were digitized
on a Sharp Chromascanner to produce PICT format files using
ImageStudio.  The PICT was converted to GIF.  The GIF was passed from
the MacII scanning system to a unix host using a TOPS network.  The
GIF was converted to ppm.  The ppm was converted to xwd.  I used xwud
to display the image.  Apparently xwud does want to change the
colormap to the embedded colormap in the xwd file.  The image is
clearly discernable in there.  Can someone point me to something
simple to display this guy?

Regards,
                     ----- Mike Matsumoto -----

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/21/89)

    I'm looking for a client that can display color xwd format files.

The R4 xwud will work better for color.

phils@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Philip Thompson) (12/22/89)

	>> I'm looking for a client that can display color xwd format
	>> files.
As you've noticed color xwd files are not portable.
If you have Motif libraries and license you can use my "xim" program directly
to view and manipulate a xwd files.  Otherwise you could use other xim
utilities to convert to the xim format and use the xxim viewer.  As easily as:
xtoxim -in ???.xwd | xxim

If you don't want to wait for the R4 contrib tape you can ftp the
utilities from video.mit.edu (18.80.0.45).  I will mail you the motif
version, but be
sure to send a legal address.  Quite a few people have asked for it but
it bounces back undelivered.

Philip Thompson

- ------- End of Unsent Draft

------- End of Forwarded Message

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (12/27/89)

matsumot@deimos.ads.com (Michael Matsumoto) writes:
>Hey.  I'm looking for a client that can display color xwd format
>files.

I don't have that (now) but my xloadimage utility (which was posted to
comp.sources.x a few weeks ago) can do several other image formats
which you can obtain with ppm.  It currently is more-or-less
braindamaged with respect to shared colormap entries but that will be
corrected in the near future by a new patchlevel.

If you have internet access, it is available via anonymous ftp from
expo.lcs.mit.edu in /contrib/xloadimage.{tar,patch02}.Z.  The new
patchlevel will be available at expo and over comp.sources.x as soon
as available, which basically means as soon as I have a couple of
hours to put it together.

If anyone has more specific questions, feel free to write to me at the
address below.

jim frost
jimf@saber.com