[comp.windows.x] Sun 3/60 server

dinah@NICOLLE.BCM.TMC.EDU (Dinah Anderson) (12/19/89)

Has anyone out there developed software that will allow you to run a 3/60
workstation as an X terminal? The more I think about this the more I think
that this is a reasonable thing to want to do. We have several 3/60's and
3/50's and it would be nice to be able to use them as X terminals instead
of buying X terminals. What I am looking for is server software that would
include just enough networking software and UNIX to allow the workstation to
boot up. This should be as fast as some of the X terminals on the market
since the ones we have been looking at are 68020 based.

Dinah Anderson					 Manager of Systems Integration
Baylor College of Medicine	                                 Houston, Texas
internet: dinah@bcm.tmc.edu                   uucp: {rutgers,mailrus}!bcm!dinah

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/20/89)

    Has anyone out there developed software that will allow you to run a 3/60
    workstation as an X terminal?

It doesn't really take very much software.  You'll probably be able to use
X11R4 "out of the box" this way, using xdm and XDMCP.  We have a VAXstation
2000 here operating as an "X terminal" this way.

rrichter@rphroy.UUCP (Roy Richter) (12/20/89)

In article <8912191617.AA06884@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>    Has anyone out there developed software that will allow you to run a 3/60
>    workstation as an X terminal?
>
>It doesn't really take very much software.  You'll probably be able to use
>X11R4 "out of the box" this way, using xdm and XDMCP.  We have a VAXstation
>2000 here operating as an "X terminal" this way.

Is this using a 3/60 as an "X terminal" only, or with the whole SunOS
plus the R4 X server?  I think it would be real nice to use one
**without** having to worry about swap and local processes, especially
on a small machine (read 3/50).
--
Roy Richter                  UUCP:  {sharkey,edsews,cfctech}!rphroy!rrichter
Physics Dept, GM Research    CSNet: rrichter@gmr.com

datri@concave.uucp (Anthony A. Datri) (12/20/89)

>    Has anyone out there developed software that will allow you to run a 3/60
>    workstation as an X terminal?
>It doesn't really take very much software.  You'll probably be able to use
>X11R4 "out of the box" this way, using xdm and XDMCP.  We have a VAXstation
>2000 here operating as an "X terminal" this way.

I think he was asking about an X server/kernel like NCD uses, where instead
of downloading a general-purpose kernel and running things on top of it, you
essentially generate a standalone X server that gets tftp'd directly by the
boot program.  Such a beast certainly would bring new live to 2/50/120 users,
although I have no idea what it might take take to compile a standalone
program.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/20/89)

    Is this using a 3/60 as an "X terminal" only, or with the whole SunOS
    plus the R4 X server?

The whole SunOS, of course.  An R4 X server is small, memory isn't that
much of a problem. :-)

    I think it would be real nice to use one
    **without** having to worry about swap and local processes,

No doubt a true statement.

kent@godzilla.pa.dec.com (Christopher A. Kent) (12/28/89)

This sounds like a job for XINU...

Chris Kent	Western Software Laboratory	Digital Equipment Corporation
kent@decwrl.dec.com	decwrl!kent			(415) 853-6639