[comp.windows.x] Interactive's MOTIF Development Kit

ptm@xact.UUCP (Paul Mahoney) (12/21/89)

I was just about to order a copy of the Interactive MOTIF development
kit when I thought....

	I wonder if anyone in America already has it
	and can tell me a bit about it?...

It's only just become available in the UK, and my supplier can supply
it the 7-14 days but not tell me exactly what I'll get for my money!

So, can anyone tell me:

	Does it work?
	Does it work well?
	Do you get decent documentation?
	Do you get a comprehensive MOTIF style guide?
	Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Paul Mahoney
X-Act Solutions Ltd
Tel: (+44) 4243 6386
uknet: ptm@xact.uucp

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (12/22/89)

BYTE did a software review in their October 1988 issue ("X Window System
on the March").  The review was very favorable, but was written
more for the end-user.  The article was not too particular about the
programming environment.

Mike Taylor
Interface Technology Operation
Hewlett-Packard

tyager@maxx.UUCP (Tom Yager) (12/26/89)

In article <100920137@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) writes:
> BYTE did a software review in their October 1988 issue ("X Window System
> on the March").  The review was very favorable, but was written
> more for the end-user.  The article was not too particular about the
> programming environment.
>

> Mike Taylor
> Interface Technology Operation
> Hewlett-Packard

I did the review for BYTE, and, yes, it was from an end-user's perspective.
There was more about the programming environment in the original draft, but
<whine> it got cut to bring down the word count.

There isn't much to say about the "programming environment," such as it is.
Nobody's shipping interactive GUI design tools as standard equipment yet, so
all you really get is the same-old libraries and header files.

I haven't received Interactive's Motif developer's kit yet, but I did work with
a pre-release of it based on Motif 1.0. It does include everything you need to
bring sources in from the net and compile them. DEC's UIL compiler is there,
too. Nothing's been left out.

I should be getting Interactive's packaged Motif kit this week. I'll report
back after that. Also, for those who weren't aware, ISC has made several
changes to their X11 and has put out a new release. Contact them for upgrade
information.

Hey--isn't anybody using UIMX yet? I posted an article looking for reviewers,
and didn't get a single reply. Is everybody taking a "wait and see" on such
tools, or are those using it just not interested in writing about it? If I'm
living under some delusion and UIMX isn't shipping yet, let me know that, too.

Thanks, and Happy New Year.
(ty)
--
+--Tom Yager, Technical Editor, BYTE magazine------------------------------+
|  NET: decvax!maxx!tyager     -or-     tyager%maxx@m2c.m2c.org            |

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (12/27/89)

> Hey--isn't anybody using UIMX yet? I posted an article looking for reviewers,
> and didn't get a single reply. Is everybody taking a "wait and see" on such
> tools, or are those using it just not interested in writing about it? If I'm
> living under some delusion and UIMX isn't shipping yet, let me know that, too.

UIMX is *not* shipping yet.  HP is working with Visual Edge to provide UIMX
on HP and Apollo platforms using Motif and AT&T has made announcements that
it will provide an Open Look version of UIMX on the AT&T WGS6386.

UIMX will be a great tool for the Motif programming environment.  I wish
I could say more, but I can say that AT&T's announcement may have been a bit
premature.

graham@fuel.dec.com (kris graham) (12/29/89)

> From: tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor)
> Subject: Re: Interactive's MOTIF Development Kit
> Date: 26 Dec 89 19:52:26 GMT
>
> > Hey--isn't anybody using UIMX yet? I posted an article looking for
reviewers,
> > and didn't get a single reply. Is everybody taking a "wait and see" on such
> > tools, or are those using it just not interested in writing about
it? If I'm
> > living under some delusion and UIMX isn't shipping yet, let me know
that, too.

> UIMX is *not* shipping yet.  HP is working with Visual Edge to provide UIMX
> on HP and Apollo platforms using Motif and AT&T has made announcements that
> it will provide an Open Look version of UIMX on the AT&T WGS6386.
>
> UIMX will be a great tool for the Motif programming environment.  I wish
> I could say more, but I can say that AT&T's announcement may have been a bit
> premature.

So why not plan a review of TeleUSE from Telelogics/Telesoft.  Great
UIMS weapon
that is shipping for DECstations and Suns.  If you need a review for
this product
on a DECstation 3100,  please send me mail.  I could also test it on a
Sparcstation ...but then, I could easily get corrupted and be biased ;-)

TeleUSE supports Motif,  Athena, user defined widgets, etc, and has
dialog management,
supports C and ADA,  applications can be called directly from C, or from
TeleUSE's
higher level event-driven language called D.  Great product overall.

Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp
Ultrix Resource Center
New York City

ptm@xact.UUCP (Paul Mahoney) (12/29/89)

Thank you for replying to my request for information. I look forward
to hearing about the MOTIF developer kit. I heard a rumur about an
upgrade to the the ISC X11, but my supplier denies all knowledge of it!
I guess I am suffering from being in the UK. ISC have only one distributer
over here, and only a small office themselves. I guess all these goodies
will turn up eventually.

Paul Mahoney
X-Act Solutions Ltd
Tel: (+44) 4243 6386