[net.news] whoami.h, standardisation of UNIX ve

donn@hp-dcd.UUCP (07/09/84)

It would help a very large number of vendors and customers if the concept
of whoami.h or any other "site customization" header file was stricken from
consideration in this area.

If you don't have source, then whoami.h doesn't work!  Since object-only
licenses are going to dominate the UNIX* system market (if they don't already),
designs like the uname call are the only way to go -- assuming some way is
provided to set it, as well.

The Berkeley hostname/sethostname feature helps as well.

Donn Terry
HP  Ft. Collins, Co.
(303) 226-3800

*Choose one:
  1)  UNIX is a TM of AT&T Technologies
  2)  <your favorite magical incantation>

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (07/13/84)

=== REFERENCED ARTICLE ===================================
	From: donn@hp-dcd.UUCP
	Newsgroups: net.news

	If you don't have source, then whoami.h doesn't work!

Hah!  One of the news (I think) programs opens up the whoami.h file AT
EXECUTE TIME to determine what the site name is.  So whoami.h can work
with binaries.

--
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Palo Alto, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,dual,flairvax,nsc}!turtlevax!ken
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Palo Alto, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,dual,flairvax,nsc}!turtlevax!ken

cmf@cwruecmp.UUCP (Carl Fongheiser) (07/14/84)

Using whoami.h on an object-only system is not entirely useless.
To all people who need site-dependent information for their applications:

	DO NOT #include <whoami.h>

Instead, try reading it when your application starts up.  Then, not only
does your program work on machines with source licenses, it also works on
object-only systems.  Simple, huh?

			Carl Fongheiser
			...!decvax!cwruecmp!cmf

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (07/16/84)

*************
=== REFERENCED ARTICLE ===================================
	From: donn@hp-dcd.UUCP
	Newsgroups: net.news
	If you don't have source, then whoami.h doesn't work!
Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Palo Alto, CA:
Hah!  One of the news (I think) programs opens up the whoami.h file AT
EXECUTE TIME to determine what the site name is.  So whoami.h can work
with binaries.
Right you are!  In uname.c:
 * However, we do it by reading the file /usr/include/whoami.h.
#define	HDRFILE "/usr/include/whoami.h"
	fd = fopen(HDRFILE, "r");
	etc...
How 'bout that!