[comp.windows.x] A naive question - motif on mac-os?

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (01/02/90)

This must be a naive question but here goes anyway...

I'm trying to write a portable application that is window based. Obvious
choice for the window layer is X-windows, it seems that Motif has gained
much favour as the interface definition of choice given portability is a
key issue and dealing with lower-level x-windows is fraught with danger
(sinister background music goes here...). I'd like to run the application
on Sun, IBM-PC/PS, Mac. Now here's the rub, the mac has a windowing system
of its own, client (not server) X-windows does not seem likely to appear
soon - and even if it did there may not be many developers that would
pick it over the ROM-based windowing facility already existing on the mac
(low demand).

However there may be developers (like me) who want to write portable windowing
code for many presentation engines and a Motif hosted on top of the MAC
ROM may be a good idea for that.

Anyone doing this? anyone likely to? any reasons why this is a stupid idea?

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)
  ...alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
  ...alen@crash.cts.com

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/03/90)

In article <1025@crash.cts.com>, alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) writes:
> I'd like to run the application
> on Sun, IBM-PC/PS, Mac.

Various people are trying to solve this problem.  The two popular
approaches are rewriting parts of your program for each platform (not
just the user interface section, there are bound to be OS differences,
etc.) and writing some sort of portability layer that provides the same
functionality on several platforms.  There is a lot of merit in either
approach.  The first approach lets you take maximum advantage of the
performance and functionality of each platform, but you do pay a
penalty in development time.  The second approach decreases development
time if you can share the portability layer among several applications,
but you do pay a penalty in performance and functionality.

I have heard of some commercial portability packages, but haven't tried
any of them.  I suspect that none will be complete enough for any
significant project,  but that do provide a starting place.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee