[comp.windows.x] MOTIF documentation

amc@wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) (01/03/90)

Does anybody know where I can get documentation on MOTIF for
beginners?  E.G., Is there a "MOTIF Programmer's Guide"; something
with lots of examples, etc.

libby@osf.osf.org (Libby Sackett) (01/03/90)

In article <43335@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> amc@wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) writes:
>Does anybody know where I can get documentation on MOTIF for
>beginners?  E.G., Is there a "MOTIF Programmer's Guide"; something
>with lots of examples, etc.

The MOTIF doc set contains a volume called "OSF/Motif Programmer's Guide".
This volume is a good one for beginners, and presents enough basic information
on the toolkit, Uil and window manager for you to get going. If you aren't
familiar with the Intrinsics, get Doug Young's book "X Window Systems,
Programming and Applications Using Xt" and keep it handy while you read
the above doc. The Reference Manual (man pages) will be useful to clear
up sticky points on individual resources, keyboard translations, etc.
You get "Programmers' Guide" on the doc tape with your Motif license. If you
need info on getting a Motif license, call (617) 621-8835.

I have heard talk about Motif books forthcoming, but haven't seen any
and don't know any specifics yet.

Libby Sackett, QA

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (01/04/90)

In article <43335@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> amc@wlv.imsd.contel.com (Allen M. Cohen) writes:
>Does anybody know where I can get documentation on MOTIF for
>beginners?  E.G., Is there a "MOTIF Programmer's Guide"; something
>with lots of examples, etc.

At this point the only place to get MOTIF documentation is with the MOTIF
distribution, it contains a 180 page programmers guide which is formatted
in postscript and prints out quit nicely. IMHO, this is the nicest toolkit
documentation that I have seen so far! (Will be interested in R4's). Of
course, the programmer's guide is just one piece of the whole package, there
is also a 400+ page reference to the widget library and so on. It may be that
some of the vendors that resell MOTIF (like ISC) will include all this, but
I haven't seen any yet.

The only other source of such information that I have heard of is the
forthcoming version of D. Young's book which is supposed to convert over
from using the HP widgets to MOTIF. Unfortunately, I doubt whether this
would be able to include a full library reference.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -