[comp.windows.x] Looking for HP 3D widget set

spanki@ced.berkeley.edu (Frank Goodman) (12/30/89)

I've recently puchased a book on programming with the Xt Intrinsics.
The Book, whose author and title I can't recall, used the Hp widgets
on top of the Intrinsics in its example. The book refers to the widget
set as the "The Hp 3D widgets". I have the the HP.R3 release (patch) of the
Hp widgets, but they don't look the same as the examples in the book.

Does anybody out in net-land have any information on them?
Are they availible for distribution?
If so, who, what, where, and how?

Many thanks in advance!

Frank.

    When a wise man does not understand, he says: " I do not understand."
    The fool and the uncultured are ashamed of their ignorance. They remain
    silent when a question could bring them wisdom.
				    -Sayings of the ABBODS
				     (Frank Herbert: The GODMAKERS)

Frank  Goodman				arpa:  spanki@CED.Berkeley.EDU
University of California, Berkeley	  or:  spanki%CED@jade.Berkeley.EDU
College of Environmental Design		uucp:  ...hplabs!ucbvax!ced!spanki
S.I.S. Research Laboratory		phone: (415) 849-1166

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/30/89)

In article <1989Dec29.201301.16135@agate.berkeley.edu>,
spanki@ced.berkeley.edu (Frank Goodman) writes:
> The book refers to the widget
> set as the "The Hp 3D widgets". I have the the HP.R3 release (patch) of the
> Hp widgets, but they don't look the same as the examples in the book.

The HP 3D widget set is available from HP.  Contact your HP sales rep.
Note that HP is replacing this widget set with the Motif widget set.
Motif has the same 3D look and is (approximately) a combination/union
of the DECwidnows and HP widget sets.  Contact OSF or your hardware
vendor (HP, DEC, others) or one of the port suppliers (ICS, Torch,
etc.) for Motif information.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (01/03/90)

>I've recently puchased a book on programming with the Xt Intrinsics.
>The Book, whose author and title I can't recall, used the Hp widgets
>on top of the Intrinsics in its example.

"The X Window System Programming & Applications with Xt" was written
by Doug Young.  This book has been ported to Motif and will be available
January 14 from Prentice Hall.  In Doug's words:

  According to the latest info I have, it'll be available Jan 14 from
  Prentice Hall. The title will be "The X Window System: Programming and
  Applications with Xt, OSF/Motif Edition" and the ISBN number is
  0-13-497-074-8. They also tell me you can back order it now, from Prentice
  Hall at 201-767-5937.

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (01/03/90)

> *Excerpts from xpert: 2-Jan-90 Re: Looking for HP 3D widge.. Mike*
> *Taylor@hplabs.hp.co (686)*

> "The X Window System Programming & Applications with Xt" was written
> by Doug Young.  This book has been ported to Motif and will be available
> January 14 from Prentice Hall.

Well that's just great.  I sprung for the original version a few weeks ago, and
it's obsolete already.  I don't suppose Prentice-Hall will accept trade-ins?

tay@HPCVLX.CV.HP.COM (Mike Taylor) (01/04/90)

>> "The X Window System Programming & Applications with Xt" was written
>> by Doug Young.  This book has been ported to Motif and will be available
>> January 14 from Prentice Hall.
>
>Well that's just great.  I sprung for the original version a few weeks ago, and
>it's obsolete already.  I don't suppose Prentice-Hall will accept trade-ins?

I don't know what Prentice-Hall will do for you, but I don't think Motif
will obsolete for a while.  The X Window System market is progressing very
rapidly...