[comp.windows.x] gwm Docs

garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) (01/03/90)

Prior to the holidays, I picked up the source for gwm from expo.  I also
picked up the gwm-1.5.1.5.ps.Z file (supposedly the documentation in
postscript format).  I have been unable to print it on any of our
postscript printers here (nothing at all prints out, and one indicated
a postscript error).  Has anyone been successful in printing this doc?
I'd even be satisfied in getting a troff source for it (if it exists).
GWM looks pretty slick, from some initial testing I did, but it is
probably useless without the docs.

If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Gary Faulkner
National Center for Supercomputing Applications - University of Illinois
Internet: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Disclaimer:  I've only stated my opinion, not anyone elses.

colas@crios.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (01/04/90)

In article <1990Jan3.142041.4758@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner) writes:
> picked up the gwm-1.5.1.5.ps.Z file (supposedly the documentation in
> postscript format).  I have been unable to print it on any of our

There seem to be a problem whith the inclusion of xwd|xpr -device ps file
in LaTeX (yet it prints here on all of our printers...) Do somebody knows
a SURE way to include xwd|xpr -device ps files in LaTeX?

MEanwhile you can strip the ps figures by:

>  I eliminated the figures with the following csh/sed
> script:
>
> % foreach file ( pages.* )
> > echo processing $file ...
> > sed '/p @beginspecial$/,/@endspecial/d' < $file | lpr
> > end
> %
>
> Blank spaces come out where the figures used to be.

PS: I will be at Urbana/Champaign January 11th and 12th, where I will make
a talk on Gwm, and you can contact the local Gwmer
Simon Kaplan <kaplan@cs.uiuc.edu>

Colas NAHABOO       BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project
                    (GWM X11 Window Manager)
    Internet:       colas@mirsa.inria.fr

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/04/90)

| From: colas@crios.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo)
|
| > From: garyf@mehlville.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Gary Faulkner)
| >
| > I picked up the gwm-1.5.1.5.ps.Z file (supposedly the documentation in
| > postscript format).  I have been unable to print it on any of our
| > printers.
|
| There seem to be a problem with the inclusion of xwd|xpr -device ps file
| in LaTeX (yet it prints here on all of our printers...)

  One of the problems I noticed is that you are apparently using the
dvi2ps that comes with the TeX distribution.  (It's not your fault, it's
the only public domain DVI to PS conversion program I know about.)  That
version of dvi2ps is terrible.  (Pierre MacKay is working on getting a
better version but I haven't heard anything about that project for the
last four months.)

  The fundamental problem with dvi2ps seems to be that the PostScript
output that it generates seems to allocate memory in the printer for each
page, but fails to free it at the end of the page.  Hence the syndrome
often seen with dvi2ps where you may not be able print an entire
document, but are able to print it out in sections.

  I used ArborText's dvips program and didn't have any problems.
Unfortunately ArborText is a pay for play product ...

Casey