[comp.windows.x] Keyboard AutoRepeat Rate in Xsun Server

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (01/04/90)

As in previous releases, the keyboard autorepeat feature in the R4 Sun server
is overly-sensitive for many people (those of us with lazy fingers, I guess).
Here is a patch to change the delay before auto-repeat kicks in from 0.2 sec to
0.5 sec, which seems to be a reasonable value.

Tom Crockett

ICASE
Institute for Computer Applications in Science and Engineering
M.S. 132C                               e-mail:  tom@icase.edu
NASA Langley Research Center            phone:  (804) 864-2182
Hampton,  VA  23665-5225

---- Enclosure ----

This patch reduces the sensitivity of the keyboard auto-repeat feature to
a more reasonable level, avoiding spurious characters and providing a feel
similar to SunView.

*** server/ddx/sun/sun.h.orig   Wed Jan  3 16:51:41 1990
--- server/ddx/sun/sun.h        Wed Jan  3 16:53:26 1990
***************
*** 228,234 ****

  extern int monitorResolution;

! #define AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE   (200)           /* milliseconds */
  #define AUTOREPEAT_DELAY      (50)            /* milliseconds */
  /*
   * We signal autorepeat events with the unique Firm_event
--- 228,234 ----

  extern int monitorResolution;

! #define AUTOREPEAT_INITIATE   (500)           /* milliseconds */
  #define AUTOREPEAT_DELAY      (50)            /* milliseconds */
  /*
   * We signal autorepeat events with the unique Firm_event

---- Enclosure ----

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (01/04/90)

Could this be made xset(1)-able (or a resource or something)?

		--Paul Placeway <pplaceway@bbn.com>

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (01/05/90)

Instead of whacking code, just use the -ar1 and -ar2 command line flags?  For
example, /usr/bin/X11/Xsun -ar1 500

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/05/90)

    As in previous releases, the keyboard autorepeat feature in the R4 Sun server
    is overly-sensitive for many people (those of us with lazy fingers, I guess).

Unlike previous releases, the autorepeat rates are setting from the server
command line.  Try "man Xsun".  There's no need to whack code.

rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L. Krawitz) (01/05/90)

   Date: Thu, 04 Jan 90 14:00:47 -0500
   From: jim@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Jim Fulton)

   Instead of whacking code, just use the -ar1 and -ar2 command line
   flags?  For example, /usr/bin/X11/Xsun -ar1 500

At that, why not make the parameters settable?  People might well want
to change the rate on the fly.

tom@ICASE.EDU (Tom Crockett) (01/05/90)

> *Excerpts from xpert: 4-Jan-90 Re: Keyboard AutoRepeat Rat.. Jim*
> *Fulton@expo.lcs.mit. (116)*

> Instead of whacking code, just use the -ar1 and -ar2 command line flags?

Um, so I discovered once I got the man pages installed and started reading
them!  Just goes to show that it pays to RTFM....

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/05/90)

    At that, why not make the parameters settable?

The core protocol doesn't support this, unfortunately, and we aren't
going to change it to.  One could certainly write an extension
to do this, but we haven't been plagued by it enough to do so.

jim@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Jim Fulton) (01/05/90)

	At that, why not make the parameters settable?

There are a bunch of things like this that would have been nice to add an
extension (such as MIT-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD), but there wasn't time to figure
them out.  And, this seemed to work well enough.