[comp.windows.x] Toolkits, Widget sets

loan@Neon.Stanford.EDU (James P. Loan) (01/05/90)

I've got a beginner's question about toolkits/widget-sets, but it
sounds like others may want to know too...

There's been a lot of talk recently about which toolkits are best
to use, and I'm still confused as to what a toolkit is. I thought
that a toolkit was a set of intrinsics for building widget sets
plus a template for structuring widgets, but _not a widget set_.
A widget set, then, is, as the name implies, a set of widgets
built on a certain toolkit. If this is the case, then I think
I can name four toolkits: Xt, InterViews, Andrew, Clue.
And the following are widget sets: Motif, OPENLOOK, Xaw, Xw,
SUIT, DECWindows, and Xcu.
I know that Xaw, Xw, SUIT, and Xcu are based on Xt, but what
about the others, especially Motif?

One of my goals might be to get Motif (R4) on a Personal IRIS.
Is this possible?

Straightening me out in this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

| Peter Loan                                                              |
| loan%alice.stanford.edu@sunrise.stanford.edu                            |
| loan%neon.stanford.edu                                                  |
|        ** I weel not buy this tobacconists, it is scratched **          |

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan4.210520.15646@Neon.Stanford.EDU>,
loan@Neon.Stanford.EDU (James P. Loan) writes:
> I thought
> that a toolkit was a set of intrinsics for building widget sets
> plus a template for structuring widgets, but _not a widget set_.

This is certainly a useful definition of "toolkit".  Other people may
have conflicting, but also useful definitions.  I prefer to avoid the
issue.

> And the following are widget sets: Motif, OPENLOOK, Xaw, Xw,
> SUIT, DECWindows, and Xcu.
> I know that Xaw, Xw, SUIT, and Xcu are based on Xt, but what
> about the others, especially Motif?

DECwindows and Motif are based on Xt.  The AT&T implementation of
OPENLOOK is also based on Xt.  The Sun implementation of OPENLOOK is
not based on Xt.

> One of my goals might be to get Motif (R4) on a Personal IRIS.

Silicon Graphics is a member of OSF, the organization developing
Motif.  You should contact Silicon Graphics for Motif availability on
the IRIS.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

mss+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Mark Sherman) (01/05/90)

Using your terminology:

The "Andrew Tool Kit" is a tool kit, implemented by the code in the
"basics" subdirectory; "insets" are contained in most of the other
directories and correspond to widgets (including a calendar widget and a
spreadsheet widget alluded to in earlier messages). "Andrew" refers to
the entire release, which has the tool kit, the widgets, and systems
build on top of the widgets, such as a direct manipulation application
builder (ADEW), embedded language for controlling widgets (Ness), the
Andrew Message System, ODA translators and lots of other good stuff.

It has no relation/dependencies on Xtk.

		-Mark