[comp.windows.x] R4 Xterm problems

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot Lear) (01/05/90)

First, I'd like to extend a hardy thanks to the MIT people for putting
out a fairly nice release.  It compiled and ran first time out on my
Sun 4s (haven't tried the 020s yet).

I did run into one problem, that I am still working on kinking out.
Maybe others have run up against this one as well:  When I go for
menus under xterm all I get is garbage.

Also, it would seem that my R3 xterm will not run under my R4 server.

Has anyone else run up against these issues?

Thanks,

Eliot
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/05/90)

    When I go for menus under xterm all I get is garbage.

Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what you see?
What compiler did you use?

    Also, it would seem that my R3 xterm will not run under my R4 server.

How does it fail?  If it gets a protocol error, you're probably running
an unpatched R3 xterm.  We've reported numerous times on this list that
various R3 clients were buggy, and would fail against a strict R4 server.
You can use "xset bc", or use "bc" as a server command line option, to
enable a "bug compatibility" mode in the server.

salzman@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (01/05/90)

>rws@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>When I go for menus under xterm all I get is garbage.

>Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what you see?
>What compiler did you use?

i'm having the same problem. to be specific - i'm getting a small (approx.
80x20 pixel) box with some text (the label of the menu). this is on a Sun
SS1, running SunOS 4.0.3c, cgthree framebuffer, compiled with Sun's cc (with
-O). i've also built it with gcc - no difference. it would appear that
the resources in lib/app-defaults/XTerm would be the culprit, but i can't
find anything wrong there....

i can run the R3 xterm ok - even with out "xset bc"....

--
* Isaac J. Salzman                                            ----
* The RAND Corporation - Information Sciences Dept.          /o o/  /

lear@turbo.bio.net (Eliot Lear) (01/05/90)

Alright.  So not everyone has my setup.  Sheesh! ;-)

I picked up R4 from GATEKEEPER; Compiled it on a SparcStation running
SunOS 4.0.3, using Sun's C compiler.

The problem:

When I ask for a menu in XTerm (C-Left,Right, or Middle), I get a
relatively small popup window, with little or no text in it.  I'm not
sure whether it's a bug in XTerm proper, or if there is a compiler
glitch, or what.  I tried turning off optimiziation on XTerm, and that
fix it.

Additionally, I get the following error when I try to run an old R3
XTerm on the new server (with or with bc xset):

>>>xterm:  warning, error event receieved:
>>>X Protocol error:  BadValue, integer parameter out of range for operation
>>>  Major opcode of failed request:  26 (X_GrabPointer)
>>>  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
>>>  Resource id in failed request:  0x807c
>>>  Serial number of failed request:  124
>>>  Current serial number in output stream:  124

And then xterm blows cookies.

Cheers!

Eliot
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@turbo.bio.net]

keith@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Keith Packard) (01/05/90)

> i'm having the same problem. to be specific - i'm getting a small (approx.
> 80x20 pixel) box with some text (the label of the menu). this is on a Sun

You wouldn't have a resource entry like:

xterm*geometry: 80x24

in your resource file, would you?  If so, you're overriding the
menu widgets size computation which will cause this behaviour.  The R3
version of xterm didn't use a menu widget which avoided this problem.

Use

xterm*vt100.geometry: 80x24

to get the desired behavour.  This is not a problem specific to xterm,
but rather a general misunderstanding of resources.  The X manual
page (./X.man) gives a short overview of resource specifications, a
tutorial on resources is in ./doc/tutorials/resources.txt.

Keith Packard
MIT X Consortium

salzman@RAND.ORG (Isaac Salzman) (01/05/90)

>keith@expo.lcs.mit.edu (Keith Packard) writes:
>
>> i'm having the same problem. to be specific - i'm getting a small (approx.
>> 80x20 pixel) box with some text (the label of the menu). this is on a Sun

>You wouldn't have a resource entry like:

>xterm*geometry: 80x24

BINGO!!!!!! you don't even have to explain why. that explains the same
problem i'm having with Xmh menus. time to take a careful look at all my
resources. thanks!!

>This is not a problem specific to xterm, but rather a general
>misunderstanding of resources.

or laziness.... :-)

--

jones@ut-emx.UUCP (William L. Jones) (01/05/90)

In article <9001050126.AA03136@expire.lcs.mit.edu>, rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>     When I go for menus under xterm all I get is garbage.

I had the same problem with the R3 xterm.  "xset bc" solved my problem.

Bill

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/05/90)

    When I ask for a menu in XTerm (C-Left,Right, or Middle), I get a
    relatively small popup window, with little or no text in it.

As stated in previous mail, either you have an xterm geometry spec in
your personal resources that isn't specific enough, or you have failed
to install the R4 xterm app-defaults file.

    Additionally, I get the following error when I try to run an old R3
    XTerm on the new server (with or with bc xset):

Are you *sure* you got bc set?  Try doing an "xset q", and make sure it
outputs:
    Bug Mode: compatibility mode is enabled

lear@TURBO.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (01/06/90)

I sent personal mail to one of the others in the consortium.  The
problem was indeed the Geometry problem.  Also, I am quite certain
that I had bc set when running the old version of XTerm.

Thanks,

Eliot