[comp.windows.x] Gray-scale demos wanted!

mjb@visual.UUCP (01/05/90)

We will be showing a gray-scale (2 planes) X terminal at Uniforum.  We
are looking for some flashy demo programs to help people understand that
this configuration will be the minimally acceptable user interface
vehicle of the future, ergonomics-wise.  Please mail me pointers to any
Motif-style 3D-look-and-feeling applications you know of, or any other
programs that cry out for a couple of shades of gray.  Thanks.

						Mike Braca
						Visual Technology
						(508)836-4400
						uunet!visual!mjb

john@acorn.co.uk (John Bowler) (01/05/90)

In article <9001050139.AA21346@bird.visual.uu.net> mjb@visual.UUCP writes:
>We will be showing a gray-scale (2 planes) X terminal at Uniforum.

Interesting.  What pixmap format do you use?  I have a server which supports
visuals with depths of 1,2,4 and 8 (plus pixmaps of depth 16,24,32), however
I ran into the problem with depth 2 that the only valid bits-per-pixel values
are {1,4,8,16,24,32} - ie no 2!  The ``correct'' solution is to use 4, but
this means that there is less advantage in using a depth of 2 - the internal
implementation of the (my) ddx layer means that it would be inconvenient
using a bits-per-pixel of 4 with an *internal* bits-per-pixel of 2 (ok, I
admit that it is only nessary to do the conversion at the GetImage/PutImage
interface, but this is still a significant amount of work for what seemed
like little gain).

Does anyone know how any X implementations for the NeXT workstation handle
this problem?  My current solution is not to support depth 2 by default, and
when it is supported the bits-per-pixel is 2!  Obviously this doesn't
conform to the protocol.  Are any other vendors thinking of depth 2 support?

Why were the pixmap *formats* restricted to those 6 values, while the
depths were left unrestricted?  Is it an attempt to reduce the work required
in a general purpose application?  If so why was format 2 excluded -
historical reasons?

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)

black@masscomp.ccur.com (Sam Black) (01/06/90)

In article <1340@acorn.co.uk> john@acorn.UUCP (John Bowler) writes:
>Are any other vendors thinking of depth 2 support?

We support a depth 2 visual (and corresponding PIXMAPs) for our overlay planes.
It's represented as 2 bits per pixel, padded to longword boundaries (8 pixels
per longword).

>Why were the pixmap *formats* restricted to those 6 values, while the
>depths were left unrestricted?

Pixmap formats are only restricted by your imagination :-)

I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.
		    /  ________/__	...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!black
		   /__/_______/  /	black@westford.ccur.com
	  Concurrent /__________/