[comp.windows.x] Problems using R4 xterm on sparcstation1

drapeau@jessica.Stanford.EDU (George D. Drapeau) (01/06/90)

Sorry to bog the network with this question; I'm sure there's a simple
answer but I'm too frazzled to figure it out.  Here's my setup:

sparcstation1, SunOS4.0.3, installed X11R4 differently than
prescribed.  Here are the changes in my site.def file:

#ifndef DestDir
#define DestDir /usr/local/X11R4
#endif
#ifndef UsrLibDir
#define UsrLibDir $(DESTDIR)/lib
#endif
#ifndef BinDir
#define BinDir $(DESTDIR)/bin
#endif
#ifndef IncRoot
#define IncRoot $(DESTDIR)/include
#endif
#ifndef LibDir
#define LibDir $(DESTDIR)/lib
#endif

The result is that binaries are in /usr/local/X11R4/bin, libraries in
/usr/local/X11R4/lib.

I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to "/usr/local/X11R4/lib:/usr/lib"

Okay, the problem is this:  the server (Xsun) starts fine.  However,
when I try to run xterm, I get the following message:

	ld.so: libXaw.so.4: not found

So I did the following:

	cd /usr/local/X11R4/bin
	ldd xterm

I get nothing as a response, when I expect to see something like this:

        -lXaw.4 => /usr/local/X11R4/lib/libXaw.so.4.0
        -lXmu.4 => /usr/local/X11R4/lib/libXmu.so.4.0
        -lXt.4 => /usr/local/X11R4/lib/libXt.so.4.0
        -lX11.4 => /usr/local/X11R4/lib/libX11.so.4.2
        -lc.1 => /usr/lib/libc.so.1.3

However, if as root I unset the setuid bit for xterm (i.e., if I do
"chmod u-s /usr/local/X11R4/bin/xterm"), then ldd shows me the shared
libraries as I'd expect.

One more thing:  if I am root, then ldd returns what I'd expect
whether or not the setuid bit on xterm is set.

What did I do wrong?  What's happening?  Why does the setuid bit
make a difference?  Did I install something wrong?

Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance and I
apologize in advance if this turns out to be a really bonehead
question.

George D. Drapeau			Internet: drapeau@jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University

) (01/06/90)

In article <8023@portia.Stanford.EDU> drapeau@jessica.Stanford.EDU (George
D. Drapeau) writes:
>I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to "/usr/local/X11R4/lib:/usr/lib"

>However, if as root I unset the setuid bit for xterm (i.e., if I do
>"chmod u-s /usr/local/X11R4/bin/xterm"), then ldd shows me the shared
>libraries as I'd expect.
>
>One more thing:  if I am root, then ldd returns what I'd expect
>whether or not the setuid bit on xterm is set.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not honored for setuid programs (it would be a security
hole).

--
David DiGiacomo, Sun Microsystems, Mt. View, CA  sun!david david@eng.sun.com