[comp.windows.x] X11R4 Xsun, GX support

root@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Martin Walter) (01/06/90)

Just I finished the installation of the R4 core system at my
Sun 4/60 without any problems. Thanks to all who made this
great software!

The only disappointment for me was the missing usage of the
GX graphics accelerator. R4 runs also with the XNEWS with very
good performance, but due to memory reasons I would like to
use the pure Xsun.

Is there any possibility to enable Xsun to USE the GX ?
Internet: mawa@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de     (132.230.1.1) | Rechenzentrum Uni
X.400: G=martin;S=walter;OU=ruf;P=uni-freiburg;A=dbp;C=de | Freiburg, Germany

tve@sprite.berkeley.edu (Thorsten von Eicken) (01/06/90)

In article <1990Jan5.233228.7576@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de> root@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Martin Walter) writes:

>Is there any possibility to enable Xsun to USE the GX ?
>_____________________________________________________________________________
>Internet: mawa@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de     (132.230.1.1) | Rechenzentrum Uni
>X.400: G=martin;S=walter;OU=ruf;P=uni-freiburg;A=dbp;C=de | Freiburg, Germany

X11R4 uses the cgsix board as a dumb framebuffer. The ioctls handle the
colormap and map the framebuffer into the server's address space.  We are
not running SunOS and had to write our own code to handle the colormap.
It turned out Sun wouldn't tell us *anything at all* about the GX: they are
worried about GX clones (did I head SolBrn?). I spent a lot of time with
forth-hacking and finally got it running. I also figured out how to use
the hardware cursor of the GX, but I haven't incorporated it into X. I
plan to play with the GX sometime...
Well, after all that, I guess the answer to your question is: there is
no way to "enable" the GX. You can either rewrite parts of the server to
use Sun's lowest level library (pixrect?), or figure out how the GX
works, unless Sun tells you that.
I hear MIT tried to run X on the GX but found it not worth it, but
that's hear-say-hear-say info, any comments by someone who knows?
	Thorsten von Eicken
	tve@sprite.berkeley.edu

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/07/90)

    Is there any possibility to enable Xsun to USE the GX ?

We at MIT have no plans to produce Sun-specific graphics code (whether
pixrects or anything else).  If someone else develops code and donates
it to us (and it's actually faster :-), we might consider supporting it
in the future.  If for some reason you really don't want to use OpenWindows
to get GX performance, you might also contact Quest; they're saying they
will bring out GX support on an R4 base.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/07/90)

    I hear MIT tried to run X on the GX but found it not worth it, but
    that's hear-say-hear-say info, any comments by someone who knows?

My group has never tried to produce GX-specific code, or pixrect code.