[comp.windows.x] Help with server comparison

pcolby@carbon.prime.com (Peter Colby bldg 4-1) (01/06/90)

        Has anybody done any any performance comparisons between X and
any other windowing systems. We are looking to port a product from
SunView to X (certainly on Sun and maybe on another platform as well)
and are trying to find performance information regarding the following:

        SunView vs Xsun (mit server X11R4 or X11R4, SunOS 4.0.3)
        SunView vs XView
        SunView vs X11/NeWS (suns new windowing product)

        We are also interested in comparisons between X servers on
different products, for example, X on a Sun4 and X on a DecStation 3100.

        Also, has anybody tried to put PHIGS, PHIGS+, or PEKON on top of
X? If so, what kind of performance did you get.

        You can send all replies (assuming any) to:

        pcolby%carbon.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET
                and/or
        gwalant%carbon.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET

        I read comp.windows.x as well so posted followups will be received
also.

        Thanks very much,
        Peter  Colby
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
UUCP: {sun,decvax,linus}!cvbnet!pcolby ||| "We has met the enemy and he is us."
UUCP: pcolby@carbon.prime.com          |||||||||||                    Pogo
INTERNET: pcolby%carbon.prime.com@RELAY.CS.NET |||

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (01/07/90)

In article <326@cvbnet.Prime.COM> pcolby@carbon.prime.com (Peter Colby  bldg 4-1) writes:

>        Has anybody done any any performance comparisons between X and
>any other windowing systems. We are looking to port a product from
>SunView to X (certainly on Sun and maybe on another platform as well)
>and are trying to find performance information regarding the following:
>
>        SunView vs Xsun (mit server X11R4 or X11R4, SunOS 4.0.3)
>        SunView vs XView
>        SunView vs X11/NeWS (suns new windowing product)
The speed comparisons between the various incarnations of Sun-X11 and SunView
depend upon how much graphics information must be transferred from client
to server versus pixel changed on the screen.  XPutImage is the maximum case.
Because all the above X's transfer information through sockets compared to
direct subroutine calls in SunView they are slower.  (Sockets are not an
inherent part of X.  I haven't seen shared-memory client-server connections
yet on a Sun X which would be faster.)  SunView has been at least three times
faster than any Sun-X for image data in the dozen or so releases I've tested
and sometimes as much as ten times faster.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/08/90)

    I haven't seen shared-memory client-server connections
    yet on a Sun X which would be faster.

In R4 there is a non-standard extension, MIT-SHM, which supports
shared-memory PutImage/GetImage, and even shared-memory pixmaps.
PutImage to the server runs at essentially CopyArea speeds this
way (about 5 times faster on a 3/60 than a local 500x500 PutImage).