[comp.windows.x] TWM performance question

wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) (01/06/90)

I have a question regarding performance of twm on a Sparcstation 1:
	I am currently using 'twm' with the default resource
	file and found that creating new xterm windows takes an
	inordinate amount of time (on the order of 30 seconds).
	Other applications, when invoked, come up almost
	instantaneously.  Has someone else observed this behaviour
	and, if so, come up with a way to speed things up?

Any information would be helpful,

Tom

P.S.  I did try the same with other window managers (and no wm) and
in all cases xterms come up very quickly.  Perhaps it is a function of the
size of the twm resource file (which is pretty large, I admit?)

--
+---Disclaimer:-Any-opinions-expressed-in----+ I don't know what I'm talking
| Tom Wolf      | Phone:  (201) 949-2079     | about.  If it were otherwise, I
| Bell Labs, NJ | E-mail: wolf@howdy.att.com | wouldn't be talking about things
+---this-article-may-not-be-those-of-AT&T.---+ I don't know anything about.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/07/90)

	I am currently using 'twm' with the default resource
	file and found that creating new xterm windows takes an
	inordinate amount of time (on the order of 30 seconds).

Hmm, I just tried the R4 twm, xterm, and server this way, and xterm
comes up in about 1 second.  This was with no user resources present.
Are you using R4?

wolf@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.wolf) (01/09/90)

In article <9001062022.AA10786@expo.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>	I am currently using 'twm' with the default resource
>	file and found that creating new xterm windows takes an
>	inordinate amount of time (on the order of 30 seconds).
>
>Hmm, I just tried the R4 twm, xterm, and server this way, and xterm
>comes up in about 1 second.  This was with no user resources present.
>Are you using R4?

No. R3.  But I must admit that it wasn't 30 seconds - more on the order of
6-8 seconds (with or without the default resource file.)  But that is still
markedly slower than, say, uwm.  The strange part is that other applications
come up almost instantaneously (within a sec.)

Are there patches that need to be applied to the distribution-tape version
of twm?

Any info is appreciated,

Tom