[comp.windows.x] conflicting types for size_t

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/09/90)

Given the following:
    Sun 4/260, SunOS 4.0.3, gcc 1.36 (ran fix_includes), X11R4.

While compiling the server:
    os/4.2bsd/access.c, and
    os/4.2bsd/osinit.c

generating the following errors:

In file included from ../../include/misc.h:38, from access.c:30:
/usr/local/lib/gcc-include/stddef.h:12 conflicting types for `size_t'
/usr/include/sys/types.h:54: previous declaration of `size_t'

and
In file included from ../../.././X11/Xos.h:43, from osinit.c:35:
/usr/include/sys/types.h:54: previous declaration of `size_t'
/usr/local/lib/gcc-include/stddef.h:12 conflicting types for `size_t'

respectively

Note: compiling with cc (obviously?) does not generate this error.

Anyone have any ideas?

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/09/90)

    Anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure you're passing -DNOSTDHDRS to gcc?

Why don't you just try using Sun's cc for now?  Does anyone really have
evidence that gcc on the sparc gives a significant performance increase?

In article <9001082225.AA01547@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>Does anyone really have
>evidence that gcc on the sparc gives a significant performance increase?

On our Sun 4/260 (SunOS 4.0.3, gcc 1.36) I have a prototype that under R3
would keep the server at 6% cpu pretty consistantly.  With R4 the same
prototype (unchanged, compiled and linked with R3 Xlib before building R4)
runs the cc compiled server at 0.00%, ditto for gcc compiled server.

These are the figures reported by the `top' program.

I know this question belongs in another group, but does anyone know how to
get even finer granularity or accuracy on the amount of cpu a process uses?

(Note to Bob Schleifler: It was -DNOSTDHDRS; boy do I feel stupid, somehow
I got -DNOSTHDRS and I must have looked at it ten times and didn't see it.
thanks)