[comp.windows.x] X spreadsheet

mascio@math-cs.kent.EDU (John R. S. Mascio) (01/05/90)

Does anyone out there know of/have a spreadsheet that runs under X?
If so, please let me know.

				Thanks,
                                        JRSM

---

        John Raymond Stone Mascio
        Systems Analyst/Systems Manager                        |   /---\
        KSU Department of Mathematics                          |   |   |
                  and Computer Science                         |   |   |
        Merrill Hall   Kent, Ohio 44483  USA               /---+---+---/
        Bus # (216) 672-2077 / 672-2430                    |   |   |
        Home # (216) 678-8929 / 678-8956                   |   |   |
        Internet: mascio@{math-cs,cs}.kent.edu             \---^---/

mss+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Mark Sherman) (01/05/90)

There is a vanilla spreadsheet in Andrew. It's not Excel, but people
here do their household budgets with it and you can send it through
email. It's called "table". I'm separately sending you the help file for
table.
			-Mark

ben@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Benjamin Ellsworth) (01/06/90)

Informix WingZ is/will.  I don't know whether they have released yet or
not.  If they haven't, I think that it should be soon.  I know that
they have announced, so you could probably call them directly for the
real story.

Benjamin Ellsworth      | ben@cv.hp.com                | INTERNET
Hewlett-Packard Company | {backbone}!hplabs!hp-pcd!ben | UUCP
1000 N.E. Circle        | (USA) (503) 750-4980         | FAX
Corvallis, OR 97330     | (USA) (503) 757-2000         | VOICE
                     All relevant disclaimers apply.

gillett@AI.MIT.EDU (Walter E. Gillett) (01/06/90)

We've found five commercial spreadsheets (at Unix Expo) that run or
will soon run under X:

Vendor                        Product    Phone
------                        -------    -----
Access Technology             20/20      (508) 655-9191
Informix                      WingZ      (800) 331-1763
Quality Software Products     Q-Calc     (213) 659-1560
Unipress                      Q-Calc     (201) 985-8000
Uniplex                       Uniplex    (214) 717-0068,
                                           (800) 356-8063

I haven't used any of these spreadsheets so can't offer any recommendations.
Unipress is a reseller, not a developer; Q-Calc is developed by Quality
Software Products.  The Uniplex spreadsheet runs as part of an integrated
business software package.  (I don't know whether the spreadsheet is sold
unbundled.)  Uniplex may be the only product of the above that currently
runs under X, but most of the others should run under X by midyear.

-Walter Gillett

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (01/06/90)

In article <9001060012.AA22092@rice-chex> gillett@AI.MIT.EDU (Walter E. Gillett) writes:
>We've found five commercial spreadsheets (at Unix Expo) that run or
>will soon run under X:
THe most recent InfoWorld said Lotus 1-2-3 was supposed to run on UNIX and
the Presentation Manager sometime in the [far?] future.
There was talk of an X-based Presentation Manager some time ago,
but I didn't see it in the R4 distribution :-).

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/09/90)

In article <9001060012.AA22092@rice-chex>, gillett@AI.MIT.EDU (Walter E. Gillett) writes:

> We've found five commercial spreadsheets (at Unix Expo) that run or
> will soon run under X:

> Quality Software Products     Q-Calc     (213) 659-1560

I believe that this product will be called eXclaim in the X incarnation.
At least their ads say so. It will have a Motif-style user interface.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (01/09/90)

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:

>In article <9001060012.AA22092@rice-chex>, gillett@AI.MIT.EDU (Walter E. Gillett) writes:

>> We've found five commercial spreadsheets (at Unix Expo) that run or
>> will soon run under X:

BBN/Slate includes WordProcessing, Spreadsheet, Graphics, Image Processing,
Foreign Language WordProcessing, Electronic Mail, and Elecronic
Conferencing.  For information contact Scott Richardson at BBN Software
Products Corp. 617-873-3984.