[comp.windows.x] Motif is a proprietary standard

rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) (01/04/90)

Does Scheifler's posting a few days ago that Motif source will not be shipping with
the R4 mean that it is not ready yet or that its distribution is proprietary
to OSF members?

jim@kanga.lcs.mit.edu (Jim Fulton) (01/04/90)

	Does Scheifler's posting a few days ago that Motif source will not be
	shipping with the R4 mean that it is not ready yet or that its
	distribution is proprietary to OSF members?

It means that Motif is a product of OSF and is *not* part of MIT's
distribution.

news@bbn.COM (News system owner ID) (01/04/90)

In article <6844@lindy.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:
< Does Scheifler's posting a few days ago that Motif source will not
< be shipping with the R4 mean that it is not ready yet or that its
< distribution is proprietary to OSF members?

I believe that this was said earlier in the group.

If it is true (that Motif is not generally available for free), then
this is a GOOD reason to go with something that is.  "Just say no."

How about a UI that is covered (in look and feel) by the Gnu Public
License (more or less -- applications may be sold, but the look and
feel of such applications cannot ever be made propriatery)?  (flames
on this should NOT be posted to comp.windows.x)

		-- Paul Placeway <pplaceway@bbn.com>

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/04/90)

In article <6844@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:

> Does Scheifler's posting a few days ago that Motif source will not be
shipping with
> the R4 mean that it is not ready yet or that its distribution is proprietary
> to OSF members?

Motif will not be part of X11R4.  Neither will the Open Look widget
set.  Several vendors have announced, however, that they will soon be
shipping one or the other of these "free" with their system software.
In the mean time, you can license Motif and Open Look directly from OSF
and AT&T, respectively.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/04/90)

In article <6844@lindy.Stanford.EDU> rick@hanauma (Richard Ottolini) writes:

>Does Scheifler's posting a few days ago that Motif source will not be shipping with
>the R4 mean that it is not ready yet or that its distribution is proprietary
>to OSF members?

Neither, anyone can purchase a site license for Motif for US$1000 from OSF.

(Neither is not a legal term...)  Motif (3D) will never be part of the X
release.  Or get DecWindows, which is incorporating Motif into their next
release (or so I've heard) or HPUX which comes with Motif (more hearsay?)

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

mayer%hplnpm@HPLABS.HP.COM (Niels P. Mayer) (01/05/90)

From: kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley)
> Or get DecWindows, which is incorporating Motif into their next
> release (or so I've heard) or HPUX which comes with Motif (more hearsay?)

I can't comment about DecWindows, but HPUX 7.0 is shipping right now and
comes with everything in Motif 1.0 except for UIL. (Excluding UIL was a
Good Thing IMHO, since it is offal.)

Motif on HPUX is definitely real -- An HP customer that is using my WINTERP
rapid prototyping environment for Motif applications (see X11r4 contrib)
wrote me that he received his HPUX 7.0 tapes just the other day.

> Motif (3D) will never be part of the X release.

I'm no business-head, but I do think it would be a good idea for OSF to
release Motif source for free for no other reason than to establish a
standard. Plenty of good technical work has failed to become a standard
because potential users are not willing to go through the hassles imposed
by licence agreements.

Another semi-technical argument for making Motif free is that improvements
to Motif, such as the addition of new widgets will be hampered. It is
virtually impossible to write a new widget without source code. The source
to a new widget will invariably contain sections of code transferred via
cut&paste from existing Motif source. Developers of new widgets may then
run afoul of OSF licencing agreements in attempting to distribute their
work.

I'm currently a bit stumped by this situation since I'm beginning to think
about the design of a hypertext widget that is a subclass of the Motif text
editor widget for use in WINTERP.... if I want to be able to distribute the
source for free, I may have to rewrite it from scratch.

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
			      Palo Alto, CA.
				   *

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (01/10/90)

In article <2497@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>Or get DecWindows, which is incorporating Motif into their next
>release (or so I've heard) or HPUX which comes with Motif (more hearsay?)

...or RISCwindows from Mips, or any one of dozens of other vendor window
solutions.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (01/11/90)

In article <18270.631494208@hplnpm> mayer%hplnpm@HPLABS.HP.COM (Niels P. Mayer) writes:

>From: kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley)
[..]
->> Or get DecWindows, which is incorporating Motif into their next
->> release (or so I've heard) or HPUX which comes with Motif (more hearsay?)
->I can't comment about DecWindows, but HPUX 7.0 is shipping right now and
->comes with everything in Motif 1.0 except for UIL. (Excluding UIL was a
->Good Thing IMHO, since it is offal.)
->
->Motif on HPUX is definitely real -- An HP customer that is using my WINTERP
->rapid prototyping environment for Motif applications (see X11r4 contrib)
->wrote me that he received his HPUX 7.0 tapes just the other day.

  Is there a reason why MOTIF (at least the version we have from HP) does
  not actually have a HELP widget like the one from the DEC Widget set?

  Every thing in the programmers guide and the contributed progs show this
  nice help button -- that goes no where?!  Since alot of the DEC Widgets stuff
  came over with MOTIF, where the HELPWIDGET stuff?! Is it planned for a future
  release or never or?

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)