[comp.windows.x] Dumping window & popups while pointer grabs are active

hammer@sp12.csrd.uiuc.edu (David Hammerslag) (01/12/90)

I think this was discussed not too long ago, but I wasn't paying
attention then; sorry for the repetition.

In general, the title pretty much says it all.  Specifically, I want
to get screen dumps of a Motif application *with* popup and pulldown
menus active (of course not both at the same time).

Does anyone know of a way to get this done?

David Hammerslag
Center for Supercomputer Research and Development
University of Illinois
305 Talbot Lab.
104 S. Wright St.
Urbana, Il 61801
(217) 244-0277
hammer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

"Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight."
							    -- Isaiah 5:21

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan11.211200.28003@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
hammer@sp12.csrd.uiuc.edu (David Hammerslag) writes:
> Specifically, I want
> to get screen dumps of a Motif application *with* popup and pulldown
> menus active (of course not both at the same time).
> Does anyone know of a way to get this done?

Assuming your menus grabs the pointer, but not the server, the easiest
solution is probably to activate the menu on your console and
simulaneously execuate a screendump program from a separate terminal
(hardwired or rlogin).

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

In article <2439@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
> From: klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee)
> Subject: Re: Dumping window & popups while pointer grabs are active
> Date: 11 Jan 90 22:15:13 GMT
>
> In article <1990Jan11.211200.28003@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
> hammer@sp12.csrd.uiuc.edu (David Hammerslag) writes:
> > Specifically, I want
> > to get screen dumps of a Motif application *with* popup and pulldown
> > menus active (of course not both at the same time).
> > Does anyone know of a way to get this done?
>
> Assuming your menus grabs the pointer, but not the server, the easiest
> solution is probably to activate the menu on your console and
> simulaneously execuate a screendump program from a separate terminal
> (hardwired or rlogin).

I should have been more specific:  I want *only* the application and it's
popups.

avalani@styx.rutgers.edu (Jigish Avalani) (01/12/90)

>In general, the title pretty much says it all.  Specifically, I want
>to get screen dumps of a Motif application *with* popup and pulldown
>menus active (of course not both at the same time).
>
>Does anyone know of a way to get this done?

You could use xwd with the "-id <window_id>" option from a
separate terminal. I believe <window_id> can either be in hex or
decimal.

-Jigish

gary@CTC.CONTEL.COM (Gary Bisaga x4219) (01/13/90)

>>In general, the title pretty much says it all.  Specifically, I want
>>to get screen dumps of a Motif application *with* popup and pulldown
>>menus active (of course not both at the same time).
>You could use xwd with the "-id <window_id>" option from a
>separate terminal. I believe <window_id> can either be in hex or
>decimal.

On a Sun, you could always go to an xterm, start a delayed screen dump with
'sleep 10; screendump file' and use the fbm utilities to print the screen
display (or cut out the relevant portions).

Gary Bisaga (gary@ctc.contel.com)