[comp.windows.x] screenblanker blanking screen at wrong times

franks@iguanodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Frank Adelstein) (01/09/90)

I'm having a problem with the screen blanking.  Has anyone by chance
run into this before:  I'm doing something in a window, I'll move the
mouse, and the screen blanks, puts up the X Logo, and then pops back
to where it was.  The keyboard and mouse were being used perhaps 5
seconds before.  A very intermittent problem, that I can not reproduce.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Details: Sun 3/50 (4 Meg memory), SunOS 3.5.1, X11R3 and X11R4, twm and awm
         (anything else I'm forgetting?).
Thanks.

--Frank Adelstein (franks@cis.ohio-state.edu).

roma@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jon Roma) (01/10/90)

In article <75431@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <franks@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

>I'm having a problem with the screen blanking.  Has anyone by chance
>run into this before:  I'm doing something in a window, I'll move the
>mouse, and the screen blanks, puts up the X Logo, and then pops back
>to where it was.  The keyboard and mouse were being used perhaps 5
>seconds before.  A very intermittent problem, that I can not reproduce.

>Details: Sun 3/50 (4 Meg memory), SunOS 3.5.1, X11R3 and X11R4, twm and awm

I've also noticed this phenomenon on my Sun 3/50 running SunOS 3.5 with either
X11R3 and X11R4.  (Both were built with Sun cc.)

In addition, it seems as if the non-blanking screen saver broke with R4.  Now
the screen really blanks instead of displaying the X logo.  (And I'm not
positive that my timeout value is being honored, either.)
--
Jon Roma
Computing Services Office, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/10/90)

    I've also noticed this phenomenon on my Sun 3/50 running SunOS 3.5 with
    either X11R3 and X11R4.  (Both were built with Sun cc.)

I don't think I ever saw this problem with SunOS 3.4, and I don't think I've
ever seen it with 4.0.3.  That doesn't guarantee anything, by a long stretch,
but I wonder if it is specific to 3.5?

    In addition, it seems as if the non-blanking screen saver broke with R4.  Now
    the screen really blanks instead of displaying the X logo.  (And I'm not
    positive that my timeout value is being honored, either.)

Do you mean that "xset noblank" doesn't produce the X logo screen saver?

roma@UX1.CSO.UIUC.EDU (Jon Roma) (01/11/90)

> I don't think I ever saw this problem with SunOS 3.4, and I don't think I've
> ever seen it with 4.0.3.  That doesn't guarantee anything, by a long stretch,
> but I wonder if it is specific to 3.5?

It may well be, but I can't shed any light since SunOS 3.5 is the only Sun
OS under which I spend any significant time running X11.

> Do you mean that "xset noblank" doesn't produce the X logo screen saver?

Correct.  Under R3, the X logo screen saver came up, but now under R4, the
screen goes completely black.  I have verified that the screen saver starts up
earlier than it should.  The time I looked at my watch, it happened in around
7 minutes instead of the 15 minutes I specified with `xset'.

As others have noted, the screen saver occasionally comes up while the user
is active.  As a matter of fact, this happened when I was sending this note.
As I started moving the mouse, the X logo screen saver came up and then
nearly instantaneously restored the normal screen contents.  This problem
exists both under R3 and R4.

FYI, I used Sun cc to build R4.  Below is output from `xset q':

<misty> home 16$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  off    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeating keys:  0000000000000000
                        0000000000000000
                        0000000000000000
                        0000000000000000
  bell percent:  100    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  150
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  4 = 4 / 1    threshold:  10
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  no    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  900    cycle:  120
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x80065    BlackPixel:  1    WhitePixel:  0
Font Path:
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is enabled

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/11/90)

    Under R3, the X logo screen saver came up, but now under R4, the
    screen goes completely black.  I have verified that the screen saver starts
    up earlier than it should.

Beats me.  You folks with SunOS 3.5 may have to track this one down yourselves.

sja@sirius.hut.fi (Sakari Jalovaara) (01/11/90)

Didn't R3 defeat the Sun /bin/screenblank somehow?  With R4 all those
pretty "xlock" fractals are blanked after ten minutes.

Repeat by: screenblank -d 10; xlock

(R4 with /bin/cc, Sun 3, SunOS 4.0.3 Export Strength)
									++sja

rlk@THINK.COM (Robert L. Krawitz) (01/12/90)

   Date: 11 Jan 90 14:15:37 GMT
   From: mcsun!sunic!tut!santra!santra!sja@uunet.uu.net  (Sakari Jalovaara)

   Didn't R3 defeat the Sun /bin/screenblank somehow?  With R4 all those
   pretty "xlock" fractals are blanked after ten minutes.

That's news to me.  I had to edit my rc file to take out the screenblank
because I wanted the pretty pictures.

   (R4 with /bin/cc, Sun 3, SunOS 4.0.3 Export Strength)

Well, OK, so this was under 3.5, but I sort of doubt that that has much
effect...

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/13/90)

  Just to add some more data points, I also experience this problem
running R3 under SunOS 3.5 (still working on R4) and when I worked on
Apollos (no flames please) I think I remember the same problem ...