[comp.windows.x] Various problems with various clients

thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu (Bill Thorson) (01/14/90)

I am haveing some problems installing a few client programs.  Maybe someone
can help with some of these.

INFO:
  Sun 386i/250  SunOS 4.0.2
  X11R4 compiled with cc
  UseServerInSunWindows YES  (I will probably change to no sunwindow)

PROBLEMS:
  xmh:  This program compiles fine and runs but doesn't seem to interface
     with my mail system.  Is the Sun386i running the wrong type of
     mailer and is there a way to get things working?

  xperfmon:  I think the problem with this program is when it calls nlist()
     on /vmunix it doesn't find any of the names.  I can't find any docs on
     what the names should be for my system.  Does anyone have a working
     version for the 386i?  Any help would be appreciated.

  xrn:  This program has the same problem mentioned by others in comp.windows.x
     I would just like to know when someone has a fix ready to go.

  xconsole: Got is compiled and seems to work.  BUT.  It doesn't seem to catch
     all the system messages.  Some message are written to the screen and I
     need to do an xrefresh to get things looking nice again.  This may be
     happening when sunwindows is running also.  I can't quite remember.
     Anyway I'm not sure how it's supposed to work or when and how to start
     it properly.

Other clients are either working fine or I haven't attempted them yet.
Alltogether the installation seem to be going fairly well.  I hope some
of you can help here.

#!/bin/sh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
echo Bill Thorson                   thorson@typhoon.atmos.colostate.edu
echo Dept of Atmospheric Science    (303) 491-8339
echo Colorado State University
echo Ft. Collins,  CO  80523        Cray||Sun||Amiga -- I can't decide?
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#
#!/bin/sh
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) (01/14/90)

>   xmh:  This program compiles fine and runs but doesn't seem to interface
>      with my mail system.

In the first paragraph of the xmh manual page, it states that xmh is an
interface to the Rand MH Message Handling (MH) system.  If you don't know
whether MH is installed on your system and have no one to ask, try typing
"inc" to the shell.  If the command isn't found, MH probably isn't installed.

The documentation for MH is in the 4.3 Unix User's Manual Supplementary
Documents.  Over one year ago, I heard that MH6.6 was available by ftp from
louie.udel.edu or on magtape from UC Irvine for $75:

	Attn: MH Distribution
	Computing Facility
	U. C. Irvine
	Irvine, CA 92717

Of course, this information may be out of date.

>  xrn:  This program has the same problem mentioned by others in comp.windows.x
>     I would just like to know when someone has a fix ready to go.

Watch comp.windows.x for an announcement of a fix, or try writing to the
authors at xrn@eros.berkeley.edu

Donna Converse
converse@expo.lcs.mit.edu

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (01/14/90)

converse@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Donna Converse) writes:
>                                                       If you don't know
>whether MH is installed on your system and have no one to ask, try typing
>"inc" to the shell.

Uh, this may not be such a good idea. Non-MH users tend to keep old
mail around forever in their system mailboxes (urrrr) and the results
of inc aren't easily reversible, causing some anguish. (I've seen
people do this when they want to try out MH, and come yowling when
they find their mailbox in lots of tiny pieces... Good incentive for
them to stay with MH, but sometimes, they're unhappy -- fortunately,
slamming all the messages together separated by "\nFrom anonymous "`date`"\n"
restores a measure of peace)