sun sparcstation 1, sunos 4.0.3c

DISPLAY TYPE:

sun cg6

WINDOW MANAGER:

twm

AREA:

xinit

SYNOPSIS:

It seems that xinit ignores a program option and always starts xterm.

REPEAT BY:

% xinit xbiff

then you get complaints from xterm about xbiff not being a valid
option.

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/13/90)

    It seems that xinit ignores a program option and always starts xterm.

RTFM.  The program name must start with . or / to be recognized as such.

rapatel@pilot.njin.net ( Rakesh Patel) (01/13/90)

Actually the bug is that you need to specify a full path name
to the file in order for it to work. I.e. "xinit
/usr/local/X11/bin/twm" will work, but "xinit twm" will not.

Rakesh Patel.

raveling@isi.edu (Paul Raveling) (01/13/90)

In article <9001122043.AA08019@expire.lcs.mit.edu>, rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU
(Bob Scheifler) writes:

>     It seems that xinit ignores a program option and always starts xterm.
>
> RTFM.  The program name must start with . or / to be recognized as such.

	This (among other things) bit us also -- our user community
	has a strong interest in upward compatibility and believes
	whatever works now, as in X11R3, should continue to work.

	It may be awhile before we release R4 to users, and I
	have an awful premonition that some may demand to stay
	on R3.

----------------
Paul Raveling
Raveling@isi.edu

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (01/13/90)

	This (among other things) bit us also -- our user community
	has a strong interest in upward compatibility and believes
	whatever works now, as in X11R3, should continue to work.

Recheck your R3 xinit man page, you will find that it says exactly the
same thing as the R4 man page about program names.  We had bug reports
from people that xinit didn't behave as the man page stated; we fixed
the code to match the man page.  It is a traditional problem that a coding
bug turns into a feature exploited by some segment of the user community.
If your community demands it, you can certainly change the implementation
of xinit to meet those demands.

00098498%UNB.CA@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (01/15/90)