[comp.windows.x] X Windows server for IBM-PC's

dupuie@neutron.eng.ohio-state.edu (Scott T. Dupuie) (01/17/90)

I realize that this question has probably been posted before, but I have
just recently become interested in the subject. I have an IBM-PS2 Model 50
which I would like to use as an X window terminal. I know where to get an
Ethernet card, but I haven't seen any software (running under DOS) which
can emulate an X Window terminal. The exception to this is a new package
being offered by Hewlett Packard, but that software only works with a
special video card which costs $1500. Does anyone know of a software
package which would emulate an X Window terminal and use my existing
VGA graphics capability? How much and where can I get it?

As an aside, the HP system uses the special graphics card with a graphics
coprocessor to speed up performance to a reasonable level, especially when
multiple windows are open (according to a preview in BYTE). If software
exists which can use my VGA graphics, are there any comments on what kind
of performance I can expect? Will it be so slow that I won't want to use
it? Thanks...

Scott T. Dupuie
dupuie@neutron.eng.ohio-state.edu

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/17/90)

In article <3948@quanta.eng.ohio-state.edu> dupuie@neutron.eng.ohio-state.edu () writes:
>I realize that this question has probably been posted before, but I have
>just recently become interested in the subject. I have an IBM-PS2 Model 50
>which I would like to use as an X window terminal. I know where to get an
>Ethernet card, but I haven't seen any software (running under DOS) which
>can emulate an X Window terminal.

IBM sells something called "X for DOS" or some similar name.
It's designed to work on a PS/2 with VGA (and maybe 8514a, I dunno.)

I would imagine that it at least works with the U-B standard IBM
ethernet card.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer